Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Big bags are the new small bags.

Markus

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 13th, 2012
Okay, so maybe not really, but I just ordered a Lowepro Pro Roller x300 bag for my upcoming trip to Europe and it's the first time I've bought a bag that just won't ever work as carry-on. As much as I love packing light, the nature of my travelling is changing and I've decided that if I have to check a bag to carry some of my photo gear, I'm at least going to do it properly. The x300 has about 90L of internal space, and my "carry on" bag is a 30 L heavily padded camera pack. I haven't checked a bag in over a decade (barring once instance of TSA forcing me during the post underwear bombing crackdown), and this is a pretty big change for me. Pics and packing details to come once my departure date gets closer.

Anyone else rolling more than 100L deep?

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 13th, 2012
I'm downsizing, but that's because it works for me. I've carried a 70l packed to bursting with a tent tied on top....but it was a struggle. Twenty years later I carried the same pack minus the ten, but now with all the gear for me and two little kids in it...and that too was a bit of a struggle after an hour or so.
Our big kids are now big enough to carry some of the smallest one's gear and all the rest can carry their own, so I can opt for a pack that will fit me well (not just be the biggest one available for purchase) and not be too big.
But then, apart from my clothes, sleeping bag and toiletries I don't need to carry much other than a paper notebook and pencil case (hubby carries the camera and laptop)

As you have already identified....the key is what your personal requirements are.

Markus

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2012
My bag arrived today and it is a monster. This is going to be different, that's for sure.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2012
When I head back to the USA these days it's with a big suitcase that requires checking- presents go in one direction, and expat goodies the other way. :)

I have noticed in the past few years that there's definitely a trend towards bigger and bigger bags if you're in a hostel or whatever (as in my 40L+20L daypack). I'm not quite certain why this is.

mictodric

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Well, I may be dumb, but i am taking a big bag. Either a Bora 80 or a gregory boltaro 75.

I know it will be a pain here and there but there simply are things i want to take. Mostly i will be using a daybag, much smaller, when the monster is locked up or i am at a stable locale.

This is my first backpacking trip. I may end up ditching stuff along the way to lighten the load, but in my mind i am going over there with this stuff. So, big bag.

nahanniwaterfall

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

I started our trip with a big 70l bag that i normally hike with. I was so uncomfortable carrying it in the heat the i downsized to a 38l and was very happy that i did so...esecially by the time we got to spain.

Right now i have wy to big of a wardrobe. I should downsize that to wht i can fit in that little 38 l.....less laundry!
Buen Camino Peregrino!

AnnaMpls

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2012
I get EXHAUSTED carrying my 75L pack. Yuck.

A few years ago, I bought a 35L pack - and I am MUCH happier traveling with her (yes, my pack is a female.. I am sure of it, since we get along so well :D ), and the 75L pack has just been collecting dust since.

manktelr

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 1st, 2012
I don't travel very often :( but I've found my 100 litre plus pockets bag to be very useful, its nice to be able to pack everything like tent sleeping bag bedroll etc into the actual bag (and lots of bottles on the trip home), mind you its very awkward and the weight easily builds up to something walking even a mile to kilometer in is very uncomfortable but I think its still a lot better than a very large wheely bag

Hays

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2012
I did a LOT of reading and shopping around for my pack before I decided on the one I wanted to get. Mind you, I'm a 6'3" stocky guy, so what's right for me would hardly be right for my 5'2 size 6 girlfriend ;-)

In any case, I went with a Deuter ACT-Lite 65+10 for the following reasons:
-Fantastic capacity, plus the dividable bottom compartment for sleeping bag and bed roll.
-Very light... 3lbs, 15oz
-Very comfortable for my build, and the suspension and airflow system seems very well-designed.
-Most importantly for me, and a dual point... it does not have umpteen outside straps (something I will not use, and extra stuff to break), but it *does* have a very efficient system of compacting straps so that if I want, I can easily and attractively shrink it down to take no more space than an average 35-40L pack.

Here's a link if you want to see exactly what I'm talking about:
http://www.rei.com/product/795605/deute ... 65-10-pack
My Kind of Crazy
Urban Guesthouses and Hospitality Consulting | Seville, Spain
(we also participate in work-exchange programs, contact for more information)

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets