Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Blue lights in bathrooms - why?

Totleigh-in-the-Wold

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 4th, 2007
I always thought the blue lights in heavily-used bathrooms served some sort of disinfectant purpose. (UV light?) But then I heard that they're there so that IV drug users can't find a vein to shoot up. Anyone know for sure?
------------------------------
Paris and Southern CA travel photos at flickr.com/photos/purrlene.

Keppie

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2007
Well, if you believe the gospel of Wikipedia

"In areas with an intravenous drug abuse problem, public toilets often have dark blue lighting, as this makes the location of veins much more difficult."
------------------------------------------
"He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who stand and watch."
-Jean Luc Godard

RalphTheWonderLlama

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 5th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Totleigh-in-the-Wold:
I always thought the blue lights in heavily-used bathrooms served some sort of disinfectant purpose. (UV light?) But then I heard that they're there so that IV drug users can't find a vein to shoot up. Anyone know for sure?

It is UV light (although they tend to produce a very 'flat' blue light), yes, and its specific intended purpose is indeed to make it as difficult as possible for IV drug users to locate a vein. This is a fairly well known phenomenon in the UK, although one tends to see them fairly randomly. For example, there is a branch of Waterstone's bookshop on George Street here in Edinburgh. They have a little coffee shop at the back. They have a toilet. The toilet is fitted with aforementioned lighting. One can only assume that they don't want people bleeding all over the Irvine Welsh whilst seeking inspiration. Or a vein.
A Møøse once bit my sister ...

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

If you snort heroin, at least you won't die in vein.

Totleigh-in-the-Wold

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

There goes Static, trying to needle us again.
------------------------------
Paris and Southern CA travel photos at flickr.com/photos/purrlene.

Mim

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2007
Big Grin
I once had to explain to my mother why the public toilets at Flinders Street station in Melbourne have these dark blue lights. She was a bit miffed at the strange light as she couldn't see if her lipstick looked OK.
Mim
Ooops! Did I do that?
blogs.bootsnall.com/Mim/
Photos

Return to Health and Travel