Offers insights on how to find an accessible room and suggest air travel tips for wheelers and slow walkers. Dish info on the best airline bathrooms and the hassle-free ways to deal with airport security.

bottom bunk

Sohniye

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 4th, 2006
Hiya Guys,

I am just wondering here if anyone else has difficulty booking hostels with the specification of a bottom bunk bed only? So far most YHA branches here in Oz (with the exception of the less than cordial Newcastle branch Mad have been the only ones willing to save something for me--instead of saying no.

I've never brought this up here (mainly because it plays a minimal part in my life) but I have a from birth, permanent leg disability (in which my ankle tendons are too tight. I cannot climb.

samantha
http://www.myspace.com/samanthasosohniye

gonorth

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2006
Know what you mean Sam, just from the defect of age.

I think most hostels do not run a booking system to that detail and it would just become another hastle to them but I have never tried requesting a bottom when making a booking.

Have however found that smaller hostels on arrival have been good when I have raised the matter rather than mine later.

So maybe just stick with smaller non chain hostels and YHA.
---...--- ---...--- ---...--- ---...---
Joes portly antipodean pal
He just wants my port and cherry ripes

Raheelah

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2007
i am 4ft 5ins short and cannot use the top bunks so when i book (unless i just turn up which i often do Roll Eyes ) i always point this out. if there r no other hostels or they r booked up then i ask if i can swap with sum1, but if all else fails then i ask if i can use the floor and if THAT fails then i try to get up to the top bunk making sure the staff see how difficult it is (this way i HOPE to have a dig @ their concience)

Smile Wink Roll Eyes Big Grin Cool Bow Slap Cracking Up Rock Out Splitform Trinque Ninja Thumbs Up Cracking Up HeHe
Raheelah.

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2010
OLD thread:

I don't see any point in starting a new one when a topic is right here :)

I have this same issue, I have some vision issues and I have pain in my feet when climbing many hostels just do not accommodate people who need a bottom bunk (they will if you keep asking, but that's besides the point). I should be able to put the request in my reservation for a bottom bunk; I shouldn't have to succumb to top bunk only because there are no bottom bunks available in the hostel.

At one hostel they ended up having to move me to another room but by then it was pretty much too late as I was already done staying there. Its almost as if they are not aware of ADA regulations in the US I don't know about hostels in other countries personally in my humble opinion I consider it a courtesy to give someone who requires a lower bunk the option more than the requirement because of ADA regulations in the states. I would also make the reservation automatically reserve top bunks first then lower bunks to make it more available IMHO>

I'd like to know what everybody's take is on this since the last person who posted here a bit over 3 years ago.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 15th, 2010
Just finished my RTW in July & had the same problem so just didn't bother with dorm rooms if I was arriving late, the hassle just wasn't worth it.

Had the same problem with sleeper berths on trains as I usually booked last minute & lowers go first, found the attendants on the Chinese train from Lhasa to Beijing & Thai railways staff to be really ignorant on this matter & refused to help at all, :o however other passengers were accommodating. :)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2010
busman7 wrote:Just finished my RTW in July & had the same problem so just didn't bother with dorm rooms if I was arriving late, the hassle just wasn't worth it.

Had the same problem with sleeper berths on trains as I usually booked last minute & lowers go first, found the attendants on the Chinese train from Lhasa to Beijing & Thai railways staff to be really ignorant on this matter & refused to help at all, :o however other passengers were accommodating. :)

That is true, you can always ASK the passenger, nevermind the staff but you also have to remember in other countries they don't always have the same ADA laws that US citizens are afforded. As a matter of fact, I know that Germany or at least I have read and heard two things: A) they are more than happy to help you and they actually send someone with you to move you from train to train (they don't go with you, they are by your side the whole time) and B) Some text I have read indicate that you have to show proof of disability and you have to apply for a disabled card and all that before you can get disability accommodations in Germany on the train or elsewhere I for one know nothing so fortunately for me I can live without being accommodated 90% of the time which isn't a terrible bother for me.

Asking a fellow passenger or roomate, whatever is a good option its not something I'd like to do in the middle of the night though Heck I am doing the best I can to make sure my arrival is during the daytime or in the early evening though that won't always be possible.

Good advice you have there :)

travelclown

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2011
As a matter of fact, I know that Germany or at least I have read and heard two things: A) they are more than happy to help you and they actually send someone with you to move you from train to train (they don't go with you, they are by your side the whole time) and B) Some text I have read indicate that you have to show proof of disability and you have to apply for a disabled card and all that before you can get disability accommodations in Germany on the train or elsewhere I for one know nothing so fortunately for me I can live without being accommodated 90% of the time which isn't a terrible bother for me.

Thanks for the info!! :D

Return to Travel with Disabilities