Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Box-o-matches in carry-on luggage?

MrTree

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 22nd, 2011
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#5

TSA standards states "One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items...", but does this apply to a box of matches? I'm asking because I specially purchased a box of really good storm-proof matches from R.E.I., and they aren't the "strike-anywhere" variety.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2011
Just take them. What's the worst that can happen? They could be confiscated. Then you'll buy some more when you arrive wherever you're going.
Try not to sweat the small stuff.

Or if you're really worried, put them in your checked-in luggage.

MrTree

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 10th, 2011
Incidentally, the worst that could happen is my luggage being delayed and finding myself spending the whole first day of Japan at the airport. Would you agree that this is feasible?

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2011
What will happen is that they will pull your bag out, find the matches, tell you they;re illegal, and ask you to check them. You can refuse, and they will toss them(in theory), or you say thank you, and check them. No big hassle either way, unless:

You're in a layover situation, and you only have an hour to switch planes.

Then why take the risk? You can make some nifty waterproof matches by coating matches in candle wax. Then you don't lose much by them. No match is storm-proof, since if you light one in a storm, it goes out!!!!

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets