Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

brand new and ready to start planning!

Jbro33

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 17th, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am brand new here, and I have wanted to take a ROTW adventure for years, and recently I decided it was time to stop wanting and start doing. My dream has always been to take two years off and go. Anyway my goal is take off in the next 2-3 years after I become vested in my stock at work so I can have some money saved up for when I return. Anyway enough of the boring details.

I am not a very experienced traveller so I figured I would start small and work on one region of the world at a time and go from there since I do have time by my side for now. I know I want my first destination on the trip to be Belize.

So my questions are,

What are some books to you recommend on Central America? (both fiction and non ficion, I am an avid reader)
What are some of, in your opinion ,the best experiences in central america?

I am looking forward to posting frequently and reading posts on this site. Thanks!

Jen

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Belize - snorkeling near Caye Caulker, Tobacco Caye.

Guatemala - study Spanish in Xela or San Pedro, visit Semuc Champey, Tikal, Pacaya Volcano.

El Salvador - the beaches around Playa El Tunco

Honduras - Bay islands, Copan ruinas

Nicaragua - Isla Ometepe, Granada

Costa Rica - Puerto Viejo

Panama - Bocas Del Toro

Not sure what to tell you to read. There's plenty to learn about the recent history of conflict, United Fruit Company, School of the Americas, ethnic divisions and politics, wildlife... not sure what sorts of things you like to read or what you're into. Anyway, C.A. is a great place for some travels. Have a great trip!

sevenplanets

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I don't have specifics to offer, but I wanted to post and encourage you to keep planning and scheming and gathering up inspiration! It's such a terrific journey (even before you ever step foot out the door!).

From time to time, I do a search through my local library's catalog, and I always end up stumbling across a great find. Lately, I've been researching Patagonia, and I've come across a great book - Solitude: Seeking Wisdom in Extremes. Thankfully, it's inspiring me during the tedious season of working to save travel dollars.

Best of luck with the planning, and welcome to the boards :)

Jbro33

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2011
Bideshi- I love that you recommended language school in Guatemala that is on my list but I was looking at Antigua, I will have to look into Xela and San Pedro as I was not aware! Thanks!

As far as reading I really do read a little about everything especially history :) I am a nerd.

Sevenplanets- I plan on going to the library today to look for books I will see if I can locate this one. I googled it and it sounds amazing and inspiring.

I agree planning is going to get me through the next few years of work. I was planning on backpacking Europe out of college and I decided to take this job instead, now I am miserable and regret not going. Now I can work on saving travel dollars and plan. I am so exciting there is just so much to do on this little planet of ours.

Anyway thanks so much!

Jbro33

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I just wanted to add. I went to the library and found some great books on Belize. I also noticed that my library had a ton of travel magazines for .10 cents! I am so excited I bought two dollars worth and I am going to cut out the places for inspiration. Thanks for the recommendation!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Personally I would stick with Antigua for language schools, stopped in Xela at McDonald's & the ATM next door & that was long enough for me.

For books try to find some English translations of the works by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, he writes about Latin American life from the viewpoint of a local, gives a good insight into the culture. 8-)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

sevenplanets

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Jbro33 wrote:I just wanted to add. I went to the library and found some great books on Belize. I also noticed that my library had a ton of travel magazines for .10 cents! I am so excited I bought two dollars worth and I am going to cut out the places for inspiration. Thanks for the recommendation!

I love that! I've been clipping inspiring travel magazine images the past few years as I've been saving and planning... There's so much value in putting your goals right in front of your eyes day in and day out. Plus - they're usually beautiful and double as inexpensive home decor ;)

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel