Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Budapest-Zagreb-Belgrade-Sofia

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 11th, 2012
So I have a bit of vaction time (a little over three weeks) coming up in 2013, end of March begining of April. I am in the early planning stages of a Budapest-Zagreb-Belgrade-Sofia trip. I am planning on my standard method; carrying my one travel bag, transporting by train or bus, and staying in hostels. Budapest and Belgrade are pretty much a wrap, I know what I want to see/do there as far as touristy stuff, and the nightlife and hostel choices are pretty well documented online already. But the interwebs seems a bit leaner on Zagreb and Sofia. Wondering if anybody here has traveled the area in the last year or two and what kind of sights / party spots I should be on the look out for while in and around those two cities. (of course, any advice of the sort on Budapest or Belgrade is certainly more than welcome too)

Lucky Luke

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2012
That sounds like a great trip.

I can only give you advice on Budapest, which as you said is fairly well documented on the web already but for what it’s worth, my hot tips are:

- Ruins pubs: Szimpla. I know it’s well known but it really is one of the coolest bars I’ve been too. It’s HUGE – there’s actually about 5 or 6 bars inside it and every space is different, from cool cocktails in the garden to funky little rooms that are like inside a gallery installation to intimate lounge space upstairs to fussball tables to wrap-round balcony where you can just stand and take it all in.

- Buda side: once you get away from Castle Hill (head slightly north-west) there are heaps of really cute little dive bars that tourists normally never find (we had a local friend guiding us) and they're very cheap. There’s some weird concoction they drink that’s basically a pint of red wine topped up with cordial – very sweet, yummy and lethal.

- Trofea Grill: it’s an all-you-can-eat-AND-ALL-YOU-CAN-DRINK restaurant. This includes cocktails! The food is good (not amazing) and a great way to sample lots of local dishes without committing to a whole meal of something you don’t know what it is. The staff were lovely when we went and, even though there is a four hour limit on your visit, were very nice about letting us run a wee bit over (about an hour!) getting in our last round or two of drinks.

- Across the road from the tram stop for Trofea Grill (I think it was the Zuglo branch in District XIV) is the ugliest building you’ve ever seen in your life – looks like a soviet kids’ playground: all primary colours and pipes on the outside mixed with stern concrete and steel – and inside is an amazing food market full of locals doing their grocery shop, eating langosh with sour cream and cheese and generally just kicking back and enjoying some breakfast beers.

- We did a cycle tour with Budapest Bike Breeze. The guide was very knowledgeable and a complete sweetheart although, while not exactly scatty, maybe not as polished as you’d expect elsewhere. But it actually rather refreshing. The mission to get to the top of castle of totally worth it for the free-wheel back down!

Enjoy your trip!

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 14th, 2012
Trófea Grill suonds perfect, and the market across the street is exactly the kind of thing I love. Great tips, thanks!

BlueLlama777

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 20th, 2012
Update: I have dropped Sofia, Bulgaria in order to spend more time in the other locations, particularly Budapest and Belgrade. Between having a 4th location and the distance to travel to it, Sofia unfortunately eats up too much time. I'll have to save it for the another trip (Hopefully after the new and improved train line between Sofia and Istanbul is completed).

I know I'm going to catch shit for this next question, but I figure its worth asking. The timing is a bit sketchy for Belgrade, right around the anniversary of the 1999 NATO bombing campaign. Some websites have mentioned in passing an increase in anti-american sentiment during this time. Has anyone experienced this? I was wondering if I should take this into serious consideration or is it more of the typical fear-mongering US State Department garbage?

lilpigs2001

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 13th, 2012
Zagreb: I went to Zagreb with my husband in Feb. 2010. We absolutely loved everything about it even though it was the dead of winter. It was good value for the money, the people were friendly and great night life. I wrote about it here: http://parttimenomad.blogspot.tw/2012/03/1-day-in-zagreb-croatia.html We stayed in http://www.hobobearhostel.com/gallery/l and it was the best hostel I've ever stayed in. It was clean and the manager on site was very helpful and friendly. The location is perfect. Close to trams, attractions and food. There is also an article that I just came across the other day: http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/dec/07/zagreb-top-10-alternative-city-guide I hope it helps.
Part time nomad: Travel blog for like minded moms. http://parttimenomad.blogspot.com/

Return to Europe Travel