Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

Budget Accommodations in Tulum (zona hotelera)??

blueberrypicker

User avatar
Guidebook Dependent
 
Posts: 17
Joined: July 12th, 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA

Share on Orkut

Tags: tulum
  • Added on: January 8th, 2011
I'm getting dizzy searching the boards for this info, and I apologize if it's already been discussed... I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with budget accommodations in the zona hotelera area of Tulum (3mi from the little town of Tulum). I'm looking for hostel-type places but they all seem to be in the town. Any ideas? Thanks

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 8th, 2011
blueberrypicker wrote:I'm getting dizzy searching the boards for this info, and I apologize if it's already been discussed... I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with budget accommodations in the zona hotelera area of Tulum (3mi from the little town of Tulum). I'm looking for hostel-type places but they all seem to be in the town. Any ideas? Thanks


Tulum has for years been my long-winter-weekend escape from Minneapolis. Cabanas Santa Fe, near the ruins on the beach, is the first place to look. There are dozens and dozens of operations on the beach, many come and go. Don't bother trying to book ahead for the beach places. Most don't take reservations. The budget ones that claim to take reservations will lose them. There are some decidedly non-budget places too, but you'll pay for them.

There are no hostels on the beach.

If you are traveling by yourself, you'll be very lonely at night in the zona hotelera. The budget places don't have electricity at night. There are a couple of bars, but they are expensive, and they close early. You'll have to go to town for groceries, as there aren't any stores.

Tulum pueblo is little more than a dumpy collection of buildings at a highway crossroads. The bus station is here, as are the hostels. Weary Traveler is the largest hostel, and receives very mixed reviews. They offer at least one free shuttle to the beach every day. If you miss it, you can walk or take a taxi - I think it is 42 pesos each way. Weary Traveler has dorm beds for 100-120 pesos, a party atmosphere with nightly barbecues, and is a good source for local travel information. Look elsewhere if you want to sleep early.

blueberrypicker

User avatar
Guidebook Dependent
 
Posts: 17
Joined: July 12th, 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 8th, 2011
Thanks a bunch Felix...this is helpful info! Will you be thawing out in the Tulum area Feb 18-23 by chance?

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 8th, 2011
blueberrypicker wrote:Thanks a bunch Felix...this is helpful info! Will you be thawing out in the Tulum area Feb 18-23 by chance?


It's a distinct possibility, actually. I'm jammed with court hearings until the 14th of February, and doing everything I can to avoid scheduling anything for the rest of the month so that I can fly out on the 15th. I have the run to Tulum down to an art form - 5:50am flight MSP-CUN, arriving at about 10am, airport bus to Playa del Carmen, transfer to Tulum. With luck, I arrive in Tulum minutes before noon.

John, the owner of Weary Traveler, is another Minnesotan, so I usually check in there, at the very least. They will hold your bags while you hunt for a beach hut, if you choose to go that route. Really though, it's not worth staying on the beach unless you are traveling with a romantic partner. Social life is all in the town, which isn't terribly far from the beach (brisk 30-minute walk).

ord2rtw2013

User avatar
Armchair Traveler
 
Posts: 27
Joined: December 30th, 2010
Location: Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 11th, 2011
I've stayed @ the Weary Traveller and had the most fun!!!!! If you're looking for atmosphere then this is it. If you're looking for a quiet place and beds w/o sand then go somewhere else. They include a full breakfast in the price which I loved. Be forewarned that YOU cook your own food.There are two shuttles which will bring you to the beach and back each day. The town isn't that far away and quite cheap by taxi.

You're going to have such fun!!!!! :lol:

Felix the Hat wrote:
blueberrypicker wrote:I'm getting dizzy searching the boards for this info, and I apologize if it's already been discussed... I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with budget accommodations in the zona hotelera area of Tulum (3mi from the little town of Tulum). I'm looking for hostel-type places but they all seem to be in the town. Any ideas? Thanks


Tulum has for years been my long-winter-weekend escape from Minneapolis. Cabanas Santa Fe, near the ruins on the beach, is the first place to look. There are dozens and dozens of operations on the beach, many come and go. Don't bother trying to book ahead for the beach places. Most don't take reservations. The budget ones that claim to take reservations will lose them. There are some decidedly non-budget places too, but you'll pay for them.

There are no hostels on the beach.

If you are traveling by yourself, you'll be very lonely at night in the zona hotelera. The budget places don't have electricity at night. There are a couple of bars, but they are expensive, and they close early. You'll have to go to town for groceries, as there aren't any stores.

Tulum pueblo is little more than a dumpy collection of buildings at a highway crossroads. The bus station is here, as are the hostels. Weary Traveler is the largest hostel, and receives very mixed reviews. They offer at least one free shuttle to the beach every day. If you miss it, you can walk or take a taxi - I think it is 42 pesos each way. Weary Traveler has dorm beds for 100-120 pesos, a party atmosphere with nightly barbecues, and is a good source for local travel information. Look elsewhere if you want to sleep early.

blueberrypicker

User avatar
Guidebook Dependent
 
Posts: 17
Joined: July 12th, 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 14th, 2011
Thanks ord2rtw2013 for the recommendations!! Looking forward to Tulum!

Qwovadis

User avatar
Armchair Traveler
 
Posts: 28
Joined: January 30th, 2011

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 5th, 2011
www.hotelstulum.com/zazilkin

my fav quite rustic but perfect and the price is right.



Return to Mexico Travel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

PLEASE NOTE: Your original BootsnAll Boards Member login still works by logging in below on the Boards.
We have a new BootsnAll Account that you will start seeing around the BootsnAll Travel Network. This new login is not yet linked to your current Boards Account. In the meantime, you will need to sign up (for a BootsnAll Account) to use Account features like Indie ™ , Traveler Profiles etc.

Quick Links

Community Activity

Statistics for the last 7 days

New posts:
0
Newest Member:
Seni Tours


Indie - Multi Country Flight Finder
Round the World Travelers


Join BootsnAll on Facebook

1 (503) 528-1005

© 2018 BootsnAll Travel Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.