Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Buying a DSLR in Asia

dimz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 16th, 2010
Hi,
I'm going to Asia soon and I'm considering buying a DSLR there. The countries I'm travelling to are Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur), South Korea (Seoul), Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia and India.

I guess KL and Seoul might be good options to buy gear, tho I'm not sure.

Do any of you have experience buying gear in Asia ? Is it really cheaper ?

Cheers,

Dimitri
"Open-mindedness is a process of listening and considering--of muting your compulsion to judge what is right and wrong, good and bad, proper and improper, and having tolerance and patience to try to see things as they are." Rolf Potts

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

cheaper than Belgium do you mean?

dimz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Mama-to-many wrote:cheaper than Belgium do you mean?

Sorry, forogt to mention, cheaper then in Australia, where I am now :)
"Open-mindedness is a process of listening and considering--of muting your compulsion to judge what is right and wrong, good and bad, proper and improper, and having tolerance and patience to try to see things as they are." Rolf Potts

Nicolas De Corte

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 1st, 2010
I've been comparing lenses in Kuala Lumpur and they appeared to be cheaper in Belgium... I have no idea about the prices in Australia though.

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 2nd, 2010
All I know is, compared to the USA, camera gear is more expensive anywhere else.

Someone who was looking at lenses in Japan (!) told me it's $500-1000 MORE than USA prices for the same lens. I thought Nikon and Canon were Japanese companies...you'd think prices would be comparable.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 2nd, 2010
Someone who was looking at lenses in Japan (!) told me it's $500-1000 MORE than USA prices for the same lens. I thought Nikon and Canon were Japanese companies...you'd think prices would be comparable

When I lived there a few years back prices were comparable to the USA. The only difference was everything was in stock in Japan. Now, of course, the yen has made quite a run against the dollar since then.

The only other place I've seen prices comparable to the USA is Hong Kong. Anyway, if you buy a DSLR in Asia (outside of Japan) it is at your own risk. It could quite easily be grey market (which could invalidate any warranty elsewhere) furthermore you may not be getting an international warranty either.

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums