How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

Buying and selling art!

FP

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: art
  • Added on: May 25th, 2011
I thought I'd post to this group since when we were traveling around the world we were always trying to figure out how to travel and make money.

After I came back from RTW I cofounded Artsumo.com, a daily deals art site that basically focuses on painting from the developing world. The way we have set it up, we let artists submit their work on the site, and if we choose it for the newsletter they get featured, and if their painting sells we send them the cash and have them ship it!

The cool thing is that this is a business we fully intend to use as a way to travel around the world and meet artists! And, for some reason, the coolest places in the world have the best art - Thailand, Bali, Guatemala, Vietnam, etc!

Anyway - you can have a look at the site.

One of the things I've been thinking is that pretty much anyone could submit paintings to our site. If you are a backpacker sitting in Vietnam and you meet a cool artist, you can take pictures of his paintings, ask him how much he wants for them, submit them to our site, and then if we pick the painting, you can go buy it from the artist, confirm that you have them, and then sell them through us! The artist does well, you support your backpacking habit, and we get eyes and ears on the ground for the best art! For the moment we're not even charging commission, so it's even better all around.

If you'd like to submit a painting you can go to the "Submit a Painting" at the bottom of the site.

I'd be curious to get feedback on this - feel free to drop me a note via PM.

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 25th, 2011
So backpackers who submit other people's artwork also get a commission when a sale is made?

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit