Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

Buzzwords

Brooke vs. the World

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Tags: words vocabulary corporatespeak
  • Added on: February 22nd, 2008
ack, this thread is making me cringe!
Brooke vs. the World - Travel Blog | WhyGo Australia - Australia Travel Guide | @brookeschoenman - Tweet Me

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2008
I think the most irritating buzzword is "synergies." It's always used when talking about mergers and acquisitions...it's extra pissed me off today because I got a letter from the local Hostelling International chapter that used it...they're trying to sell the membership on a merger with the Vancouver based chapter, and I've yet to hear a coherent argument on why this is a good thing.

All they seem to be able to do is point to corporate style buzzwords.

lovemyluggage

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2008
I teach. Here are my most (least) favorites:

teaching to the test
rigor and relevance
building relationships in the classroom
life skills (these include such skills as keeping your ass out of jail, how not to join a gang, and developing self-esteem)
No Child Left Behind
consistency
discipline management framework
bla
bla
bla

Whatever. It's all political crap. I choose not to listen or follow many of the rules. One of the many things I like about my particular school.

La Rosser

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2008
Innovation, out of the box, pushing the envelope, disruptive technology, zzzzzz.....

and I LOVE this IBM commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziOG_GHNVq0
" Are we there yet?"

omnivorous_t

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 11th, 2008
Wow! This thread is making me nauseous.

The only thing worse than synergies is when someone wants to leverage them.

Go-to is almost as repulsive.
--------------------

How sharp is your machete?

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by lovemyluggage:
I teach. Here are my most (least) favorites:

teaching to the test
rigor and relevance
building relationships in the classroom
life skills (these include such skills as keeping your ass out of jail, how not to join a gang, and developing self-esteem)
No Child Left Behind
consistency
discipline management framework
bla
bla
bla

Whatever. It's all political crap. I choose not to listen or follow many of the rules. One of the many things I like about my particular school.

It just cracks me up how many gazillion buzzwords educational administrators are coming up with: we'll get flyers about seminars & workshops for this new technique, that new method, this new thang, and the whole time I just keep thinking...what about just 'good teaching'.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

Audreymoon

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2008
You know "green" is a buzzword when you hear car companies, big oil, and plastic water bottle companies use it as their main selling point.

green, like my face everytime I hear it used.
“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”

marksda1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2008
Yeh, my company has started tossing around the "term" green as in getting our customers to use "green marketing" - i.e. e-mail... whatever!

The latest one that's killing me is "deep dive" - i.e. let's take a "deep dive" into the customer's requirements. I cringe every time I hear it.

Granularity is another one that's getting tossed around a lot.

They all make me want to cry!

JetGirl

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2008
I hate "Going forward". Kill me now. I once sat through an endless school board meeting and kept track of the number of times that phrase was thrown around. One guy said it seven times in one meeting. I kept thowing evil thoughts in his direction.

Ever play buzzword bingo? We did it once at a tel-com meeting at my old office. Phone conference so the other end couldn't see us silent cheering as they said "metrics" (another hated term).

I now cover education for the newpaper. Amen to rigor, relevance and relationships. Bull****. A new one is "scaffolding". In other words, an excuse to get rid of programs that work. Vomit.

Jet
"That would have been predictable. This way it's poetry." -- Joey the Lips, The Commitments

Cemesis

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 11th, 2008
From my time at IBM

"Out of scope"

When I hear people say that now I find myself reaching for a weapon...

Mim

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2008
'moving forward' and even worse...'in terms of moving forward'. One of my bosses did a lecture at the local University and almost every sentence he said incorporated 'in terms of moving forward' - especially just tacked onto the end of a sentence, as if it makes things any clearer about the price of rice in China. Roll Eyes
Unfortunately I also have to listen to it every time we have a meeting to find out how the company is going...
'so such and such a client is in the bag...in terms of going forward...' Grrrrr Mad

Otherwise he's a decent bloke.
Mim
Ooops! Did I do that?
blogs.bootsnall.com/Mim/
Photos

Miamc

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2008
Let's Circle Back -- always makes me picture a dog chasing its tail.

Think outside the box -- what box? I'm in a box? Oh, yeah, I finally got an office instead of a cubicle, so I guess I should go out in the hall to think.

Actully, I don't hear these too often in my current job, but they still make my skin crawl.

Michael C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2008
Green is so last week. Now the greedy corporate developers investors in our state's future tell us that all their projects are sustainable and based upon traditional neighborhood designs.

As in: "This environmentally-conscious luxury gated community shows our commitment to sustainable development through the use of traditional neighborhood design."
Michael C

EEBeardsley

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 22nd, 2008
So, I read through this post a few weeks ago and was highly entertained. The past few weeks I have been paying more attention to some buzzwords. The #1 word I have been hearing..."Show-stopper"

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 3rd, 2008
Since we don't have a thread called 'Cliches That Irritate The Wazoobajesus Out of Me,' I'm posting here that if I hear how New Orleans 'dodged a bullet' one more time.....

Paranoid Dance

PreviousNext

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel