Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Cambodia - how dangerous is it really?

Badswan

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 8th, 2005
I am going to Asia in the next month or two and really wantto see he Angkor Temples but my family are going nuts saying it is like a death scentence just going there. I would really love to hear from anyone who has actually been in Cambodia. Should I go or is it just dumb? Are there places I should know about that are really bad? I just gotta see those temples man . . .
Thanks.
Badswan

Lightning_Brian

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I wouldn't go so far as to say Cambodia is a death sentence. I went to both Angkor and Phnom Penh with a group and had no problems at all. My friend, however, was traveling alone and had a problem with his road journey from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Halfway to the destination, the driver decided to not go any farther and kicked him out at a remote village. It was an annoyance, but he stayed the night and was able to find a ride the next day. Cambodia may be slightly more unsafe then its neighboring countries, but a little caution and common sense go a long way. Travel with others if you can. And the temples at Angkor are definitely not dumb. They'll take your breath away and I think everyone should see them at least once during their lifetime. Have fun.

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Cambodia is pretty safe..as a gal travelling by herself I found it safe enough..Siem Riep is a tourist town so I don't think it was a issue.

PP can be doggy at times especially at night but then don't venture out too late and also be in a group...

Its safe if you take certain common sense measures...

have fun ...
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

Neil

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I get shot at on a daily basis. I was also robbed at gunpoint this morning.

Seriously, Cambodia is not dangerous for us foriegners. The locals are very concious of the fact that if this place becomes unsafe for travellers, then all of the tourist dollars will cease to flow into the country. You should be fine, I have had no problems whatsoever.

Neil

Gordon C.

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2005
I agree with Neil - it's not a place you need to worry about travelling in - try and find out exactly why your family is freaking out, and then counter it with a little dose of reality... If their fears are completely irrational then there's nothing you can do about, except go and enjoy yourself.

thebigfella

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

I've been there, and it's probably my favourite country visited. The people are amazingly friendly.

like anywhere else, take reasonable precautions and you'll be fine. Above all, listen to the advice of local people (indigenous and resident foreigners) and you'll have no problem.

I think your family are being a bit over the top with the death sentence thing.

Bubbha

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I went two years ago with my wife, and spent 12 days in Cambodia: Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville. Never once did we feel in danger. We found it a very pleasant and safe place. Especially Siem Reap - a wonderful town!

I've heard of people being robbed at gunpoint in Phnom Penh late at night, but then again, I've heard of people being robbed at gunpoint in most American cities. We never encountered any danger in Phnom Penh and felt safe there. Just use common sense like you would in your hometown.

As for landmines, they've been cleared away in areas where tourists go. If you see a well-trodden path in a touristed area like Angkor, you'll have no worries walking on it. Just don't go traipsing off in the jungle!!

The Khmer Rouge are a thing of the past. You need not worry about guerrillas or insurgents.

Enjoy your stay in Cambodia!
--
"Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia." - Chinese proverb

York_Tyke

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 18th, 2005
I went to Cambodia at the end of November, It was my first solo trip. Stayed 3 nights Siem Reap and 2 nights Phnom Penh before going onto Vietnam. Never felt threatened or in danger.

If fate has something bad in store for you it's going to happen no matter where you are.

Cheryn

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2005
It is totally safe (in relative terms... is anywhere really 'safe'?)

I was there 3 years ago, visiting Angkor, and fell in love with Cambodia. I think your parents must be reacting to the awful things that happened in this country when the KR were in charge. That dark chapter is pretty much closed. Yes, there *may* be some KR activity still these days, but only if you go to very remote places. Doesn't sound like you are, so no worries!

pelican breath

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2005
im going to cambodia in may some time going to laos thailand maybe vietnam first all the people i know that have been ther say its great and have had no troubles im lone traviling also looking for travil buddie at moment, might hook up with a mate in vietnam but made no plans or dates yet

ryaanmc

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2005
we went to thailand in april, took a bus to ankor wat and stayed for four days with no problems. bus back to the thailand and onwards-no worries..

Return to Asia Travel