Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Cameras with AA batteries

excuse the dust

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 15th, 2011
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a cheap (but not completely trash) AA battery powered camera. I'm planning on staying urban so I'm bringing one of my cameras that uses Li-rechargable batteries but i'd like to have the AA option.

Any recommendations?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2011
I am no photographer so not anywhere near expert but I manage with a point & shoot Canon Power Shot A480 which is just above the completely trash line.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I must admit it has been some time since I owned a compact camera. But most people's cameras who I know run off AA batteries, I thought they were pretty common. However having done a quick google I can see more and more compact cameras are running off their own rechargeable battery. So having had a quick read I'd suggest checking out some of the following - Nikon Coolpix L22, Fujifilm Finepix AV100, Canon PowerShot SX120 (I am particularly impressed by this one, with 10x optical zoom and 10MP plus shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual settings), Samsung ES-30, Samsung ES25. That's only a quick read though and they're just examples :) Have to admit though if I was looking for a compact camera I'd look seriously at that PowerShot.

excuse the dust

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Thanks so much for the recommendations.

chriswilson7

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2011
I've had a Fuji Finepix A690 for four years and it has been brilliant. Bought it for £75 in a sale on the Jessops website plus a 1GB memory card and a case taking it up to £100 total. It's 6.3 Megapixels, Duracell/Energizer last very well in it and the average photo size is 1.1MB meaning you can fit about 600 photos on a 1GB card. It doesn't have sound on video mode, but that isn't something I need and there are Finepix models that do have that feature. It takes great photos.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 20th, 2011
Find a Nikon Coolpix L12, but be careful with it near water.

Lucky Luke

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 21st, 2011
I've used a couple of incarnations of the Canon Powershot A5[X]0 range (think I had the 530 and 540s) and they've aways been great little cameras.

I initially chose it primarily because of the AA batteries - I was lugging a battery charger for something else anyway and it was very useful, if my battery died half way through the day to jusy nip into a 7/11 and buy some more.

Unfortunately I killed both cameras by dropping them and smashing the lenses but this says more about my level of clumsiness than it does build quality - they were pretty sturdy wee things and i've done it to several other cameras too.

The one thing I didn't like about them though was they are quite slow to process - especially if you take a photo in low light or use the flash; it takes a good few seconds until the camera is ready to shoot again which can be quite frustrating. This may have been addressed in more recent models though.

excuse the dust

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 23rd, 2011
Thanks again, everyone. Keep the recommendations coming.

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 7th, 2011
I've also been partial to the Canon Powershots - there's a whole range of models with varying features and they are mostly very affordable. I carry an AA powered Canon Powershot as a backup and couldn't be happier.

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums