Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Camping in North and South Dakota

Luisito

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 20th, 2011
It will be my first time travelling down through the Dakotas. I will be driving down From Winnipeg, Canada to the wounded knee memorial and badlands national park. Then driving back through western North Dakota, through theodore roosevelt national park......I figured camping would be the best way to apreciate the natural beauty of the Dakotas and the most economical way also. Any recommedations on camp sites or on anything else?

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2011
Not sure how much help I can be, but I CAN tell you that in the Badlands National Park there are two campgrounds - one is a reasonable cost with bathrooms and water and such and the other one is free, but it's pretty far from anything and doesn't have any services.

The town of Wall isn't far from one of the park entrances and contains the "Wall Drug" store that you will see countless signs for along the roads all over the region.

South Dakota's badlands are more dramatic than North Dakota's, but you'll have far less competition for camping sites and such in North Dakota.

There are lots of private campgrounds all over the Dakotas, too, so those are a good option if the National parks are full, or if you want something different in a place that looks interesting.

Check out the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. It won't blow your mind, but it's an interesting thing anyway. There are photos inside of the annual corn decorations for over 100 years, I believe.

Make sure to allow for plenty of time in the Black Hills, SD. Custer National Monument, Mount Rushmore are two main attractions, but it's really a beautiful area.

If you feel like going a little out of the way, Devil's Tower in the NE corner of Wyoming is a pretty interesting destination as well.

Hope you have a great trip!

Luisito

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
Bideshi, thanks for the reply, i apreciate it. :tup:

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
I don't know your politics at all, but I wouldn't spend a dime (Canadian or American) in South Dakota: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/south-dakota-abortion-bil_n_839063.html

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 28th, 2011
They're not very vegetarian friendly either http://www.flickr.com/photos/u2acro/2811072265/ (not my photo - random selection from Flickr)

It's true, the politics of the Dakotas are not something many of us are exactly proud of.... They would look worse if Wyoming wasn't right there making them both look darn near progressive... :lol:

So anyway, come, enjoy the scenery, and try not to get TOO put off by "American culture" in the Dakotas.

Here's a site that you might find handy for some interesting attractions in the Dakotas, as well as wherever your NEXT road trip in the USA might take you: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

Also, if you are camping for a while and decide that you want to camp AND have a nice hot shower too, you can look up KOA campgrounds. They are usually boring, relatively expensive, and hardly much of a "camping" experience, but if you have gone a few nights without some creature comforts, they might be a nice break.

Have a nice trip!

Ankitjha

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
There are three campgrounds in Theodore National Park. Camping is on a first-come, first-served basis. Group camping requires reservations. A free backcountry permit is required for overnight camping. For the Roundup Group Horse Camp in the South Unit as well as the North Unit Group site, reservations are accepted beginning the first business day in March.

In the South Unit, there are Cottonwood Campground, Cottonwood Group site (#25) and Roundup Group Horse Camp.

In the North Unit there are Juniper Campground and a Group Camp Site.

Cottonwood : it is open all year :D $2 per person per day
Roundup Group Horse Camp : 01 May -01 Nov same as cotton wood
North Unit Campgrounds
Juniper: Its open all Year
Juniper Group Camp: May-Nov , 6-60 people

I suggest for south unit cottonwood campground :)

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2011
Don't miss a sunset in the Badlands. If you are going any time soon, there will still be wildflowers too... gorgeous country, but serious country.

Are you considering going backpack camping into the Badlands National Park? I think that is one of the parks that has a real wilderness that you can just backpack in and camp anywhere in as long as you take all with you all that you bring in. But I wouldn't do it without the proper equipment/maps and without someone knowing you were doing it. That country doesn't give much so make sure you can rough it.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

Return to USA & Canada Travel