Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in London with a 12-hour layover.

Camping in the South of France & Spain (info request)

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Tags: Montpelier, Marseilles, Toulouse, barcelona, south of france, camping, being a dirty hippie
  • Added on: May 1st, 2011
I'm planning a trip to Montpelier, Marseilles, Toulouse, Barcelona and then back to Paris (where I live full time). I want to camp/make this an insanely cheap trip. We're talking baguettes with butter for lunch, like a dirty hippie. So does anybody know anything about camping in the south of France? I've tried looking online but almost everything I come across is for RV's and all of this. Whereas my situation is a little bit more sleeping bag and tent.

Has anybody done this? Have book/website recommendations? Also I'm thinking taking the bus/train/hitchiking is going to be the best way to make this all happen (I'm also travelling with a boy so it's a bit safer than hitchiking alone). But if anybody has any insight into the best/easiest way to get around please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
'The time has come,' the Walrus said,
'To talk of many things:
Of shoes -- and ships -- and sealing wax --
Of cabbages -- and kings --
And why the sea is boiling hot --
And whether pigs have wings

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 2nd, 2011
I did some web searching as well, with the knowledge that a friend of mine camped all over europe with his little car/van and a tent.

Many camp areas require a car for access, it appears, in the site i found

The bigger the city, the higher the odds that public transport will get you there.

BTW- I had a great time in a campground near venice for 13 euros a night, in a little camper that fit four people. I was alone, which was even better. This campground had a pool and small store, with internet. Lots of youth were running around in bathing suits and swimming while I saw Venice and took the 5 pm bus back.

Return to Europe Travel