Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling in Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

camping NSW

onawhim

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 7th, 2008
My boyfriend and I are wanting to do lot more camping this Summer. We prefer to rough it, aren't really bothered with facilities, and like it secluded.
Anyone got some good suggestions of good, scenic camping spots in NSW?

Groo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 7th, 2008
Almost anywhere here
There are brilliant spots in almost all of these parks. Near Sydney .... Blue Mountains? South Coast?

A spinebash by the ocean? Meroo. Good hard walking, Blue Mountains. Spectacular environment, the Washpool.

But there's something special in them all.

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 10th, 2008
We spent a considerably amount of time camping from Cape Tribulation to the Great North Road and there are so many campsites in Australia you'll have a great selection to choose from. We hired a campervan and car over the 3 month period so it was easier for us to carry all the camping gear around. Sites vary with facilities but many have full camping kitchens and pools down to just toilets and showers. To get to the out of way places it's not always easy to get there by bus or train this is something you need to look into. There is a free or low payment camping book on the market in Australia which we bought and this might be of use to you. You'll have the opportunity to get to the out of way places but recognise that these sites have little facilities, somtimes just toilets so you will certainly need to have a cooking stove with you.
Best of Luck in your travels
Jeanie

Pirri

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 13th, 2008
This site lists all the National Parks in NSW and their attractions, facilities etc. You can also pick up a hard copy for free at NPWS buildings, camping stores and probably tourist info.

In terms of recommendations from me I loved the Royal National Park and have always wanted to do Coastal walk which is a 26Km walk(2 days) from Bundena (Sydney) to Wollongong right along the cliff tops. I've done parts of it but haven't had the time to go down and do the full walk yet.

Because it's close to where I live I've done a bit in the Warrumbungle NP which is an old volcanic range and had some great hikes and camping sites that range in terms of facilities and out-of-the-way'ed-ness.

Another one which I always enjoy (probably because I have great childhood memories) is camping up at Coolar Tops. It's just outside of Coolar and the camp site is near the top of the waterfall and you can walk down to the bottom. One thing I always loved about the place is when you go there in winter the waterfall freezes over and you go down to the bottom and all the little pondie-lakie thing freezes over as well (at least until lunch time). In terms of facilities there aren't any except some fire pits and maybe a drop toilet (can't remember it though).

Mutawintji is also amazing especially if your interested in Aboriginal sites but if not it's some amazing scenery. Red rock and green trees beautiful colouring. Though it might be a bit hot in summer (and don't forget the flys).

One last one that I've always wanted to do that I've never had the chance is to go to the Stuart NP but again it might be too hot in summer.

I hope some of this has been some help.

nevergoinghome

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 10th, 2008
i think the most beautiful part of NSW is the area around the hawksbury river. There are some great camping areas and the river is great and safe to swim in

Return to Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Islands Travel