Life and times of the Caribbean/West Indies. Shake your sarong, drink some coconut juice and figure out the best way to hop from one isle to the next.

canadian flying to us from puerto rico or virgin islands?

amssports06

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 14th, 2010
I have a quick question for anyone who knows. My fiancee and I are getting married in May, and I've been looking at the virgin islands or puerto rico. She is canadian, and she isn't allowed to leave the country after our wedding until she gets her green card (about a year later). Here's the question: if we're flying detroit to san juan (for example) round trip, will she have to go through customs in san juan since she's canadian? or will she board the flight with just her drivers license like any other american? not sure how they would treat her since she's canadian but technically she's not leaving the us.

thanks a lot!

aaron

Alexis Lacour

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2010
Well she needs an international passport?

Nobody can fly into the US without a full passport, driver's licence/birth certificate is no longer sufficient.

She probably knows this as the change was recent, like last year?
Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. - If you can read this, you're overeducated.

KathleenO

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 25th, 2010
If she doesn't have a US driver's license (which I'm assuming she doesn't since she doesn't have a green card yet), then yes, she needs to travel with her passport. But she won't be leaving the US since Puerto Rico is a US territory, so there's nothing to worry about!

JamesLeMay

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2010
Alexis Lacour wrote:Well she needs an international passport?

Nobody can fly into the US without a full passport, driver's licence/birth certificate is no longer sufficient.

She probably knows this as the change was recent, like last year?

Assuming you live in the United States then the other poster is wrong!!!!!! If you have a U.S. Drivers license you can enter the U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico without a passport. She could be confused about flying into Mexico in which a passport is required. Just don't put down that she's Canadian.

I've lived in the Virgin Islands for 7 years and you come and go on a drivers license.
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux

Return to Caribbean/West Indies Travel