Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Canadians are rude and obnoxious

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 3rd, 2011
I can't help but be struck by the following conclusion:

1) Tenspeed is in a band.
2) They played on NYE.
3) They were terrible.

tenspeed

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 3rd, 2011
"awesome"? You must be a Canadian:
1) Using the word awesome.
2) Using it as sarcasm.

If there are obnoxious people everywhere, it doesn't matter where I socialize, I will find them. Now I'm becoming obnoxious.

However, the point is, I think that the obnoxious-set (let's call them that, rather than slander 30M) in Canada doesn't realize how annoying it really is, and therefore transfigures into a character of real annoyance. It's the curse of the nice to not really know what unfriendliness is, and then to go so easily between holding a door open for grama, and stepping on everybody's toes at a party. Prescriptive manners, excessive apologizing, niceness accolades, little real concern for people. My point is best made as a treatise of the subject and I'm not getting it across here, or I'm alone in this opinion. Except for the guy who thinks Australians and Canadians both have the same "problem".

Jester: hahaha! I'm not in a band, but I like your style.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 4th, 2011
Sounds to me more like a case of homecoming blues for an expat. I've noticed that many expats - the ones that enjoy expat life, that is - tend to bristle at certain habits of their compatriots when they return home.

tenspeed

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 5th, 2011
That's likely true, Hat. It's the curse of perspective. ;)

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 21st, 2011
This thread is more than month done and gone, but I just couldn't help but respond.

If you're at a concert, and complaining about moshing and noise, maybe you're just too old for said social scene? People talk at concerts everywhere. If people want to mosh, how does this offend you? Stay off Granville Street if you find people too smug and smarmy for your liking, and try to stick with the VSO or Vancouver Opera if you'd like a nice peaceful concert (although the hacking and wrapper crinkling might drive you insane in that case).

It's hardly fair to compare your idyllic brushes with foreign culture to the day to day realities of actually living in your native country. I live in Vancouver and have had plenty of bad experiences. I've also met some amazingly pleasant, friendly, and polite strangers at art gallery openings, concerts, grocery stores, cafés, cinemas, bookstores, and just passing by on the sidewalk. Canada is no better or worse than any other place in the world for these sorts of encounters, despite having people like you looking for a reason to hate those around them.

Get over yourself. No one likes a whiner.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2011
[quote="Markus"]ICanada is no better or worse than any other place in the world for these sorts of encounters, despite having people like you looking for a reason to hate those around them.

Haven't traveled much, have we? :(
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:
Markus wrote:ICanada is no better or worse than any other place in the world for these sorts of encounters, despite having people like you looking for a reason to hate those around them.

Haven't traveled much, have we? :(

I actually agree with him. You are obviously still in your starry-eyed honeymoon phase with El Salvador if you can't see how Salvadoreans are obnoxious with noise and litter and other kinds of antisocial nuisances. Some people, in an effort to be worldly and open-minded about other cultures, go completely overboard. They wind up fetishizing foreign cultures, and loathing everything about their own, applying a much harsher standard to their home country than they ever would to their favorite exotic country, where people have cute ethnic costumes.

You see it all the time with American kids studying abroad in Europe, or especially Latin America. They bend over backwards in their self-loathing, cringingly apologizing for everything the US has ever done, and screaming foul or even racism at any criticism of their new pet country.

Belch.

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

I haven't traveled that much compared to some here, but I have managed to get around. What I've seen is that the vast majority of world cities have a healthy collection of both obnoxious idiots AND charmingly polite and pleasant people.

Tenspeed seems to have just come back from Japan or somesuch place, and is most likely mistaking excessive formality for politeness. Everyone there was probably so solemn and peaceful and wise and wonderful in his eyes, and now he's back having to deal with his own culture. Spending another five or ten years in wherever the hell he was would probably result in a post on how rude and obnoxious that culture is, because that's the sort of person tenspeed is.

I've had moments in Thailand, Cambodia, Germany, France, America, Chile, Peru, and Costa Rica where I've missed the quiet politeness of my home country. Then I've come home and missed the charm of the people in the countries I've just left. It is extremely difficult to accurately pinpoint how rude and obnoxious a country's people are compared to others, and if your only argument is going to be that you don't have fun at bars... well your argument falls a little short with me.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2011
I'll take the Salvadorians thinking I'm stupid & ripe to be ripped off & I'll take the handshakes of welcome when you enter their place of business after about the 3rd time. I'll take the armed security guard opening the door for you when you enter Super Selectos.

I'll take the necessity of having a caretaker on my fenced property 24/7, I'll also take not paying property taxes as I in the country past the limits of the garbage truck, I'll take the free (even to gringo's) walk-in clinic, I'll take the free plot in the local cemetery.

I'll take the 90o temps, having my own bananas, coconuts, mangos growing in my yard.

So that I don't have to take a Canada where in most places, if your grandfather wasn't born in that little hick town you'll be an outsider for life, so that I don't have to take living where you have the privilege of paying for property that you have to pay taxes on but you can only do with it what your neighbors approve & if the government wants it you are forced to give it to them for whatever they decide to pay, so that I don't have to go to a walk-in clinic staffed with incompetent doctors.

So that I don't have to sit back & watch while a terrorist refugee claimant lands in Canada in an old ship that he paid $40,000 passage on then lives free on my $ until he's set up with a Daisy Mart in Toronto, while I receive a pittance from the country I paid taxes to for 45 years.

Oh yeah innocent people get shot & killed walking along Young Street in Toronto so I'll take my chances in SV.

Think the only "starry-eyed" one is Felix who just refuses to admit that San Salvador is every bit as safe as Panama City & likely safer than many American cities.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Right. When it comes down to walking the walk, you're not going to give up your Canadian passport for a Salvadorean one.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Canadians are rude and obnoxious.
:duel:
Americans are loud.
:flame:
Australians are arrogant.
:evil:
Kiwis are laid-back.
:whiteflag:
Germans are bureaucratic.
:pacman:
Indians are pushy.
:headbang:
Chinese don't have the concept "queue".
:slap:
Laos smile constantly.
:D
Turks love children (Chinese too)
:woot:
Italians are poor drivers and talk with their hands (at the same time).
:killbill:
English are stuffy.
:shrug:
Scots have deep pockets and short arms.
:seesaw:
All Samoans can sing.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 24th, 2011
Can't say about Turks, Italians or Samoans S I haven't visited there yet but otherwise Mama-to-many's statement seems, to borrow a Brit expression, Spot On :woot:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Felix the Hat wrote:Right. When it comes down to walking the walk, you're not going to give up your Canadian passport for a Salvadorean one.

Like that's an option. :dancer:

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:
Felix the Hat wrote:Right. When it comes down to walking the walk, you're not going to give up your Canadian passport for a Salvadorean one.

You wouldn't, would you?

Out of curiosity, how good is your Spanish?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Felix the Hat wrote:
busman7 wrote:

You wouldn't, would you?

Out of curiosity, how good is your Spanish?

And give the government an opening for an excuse to cut off my social security so some Tamil Tiger Terrorist refugee claimant can get it? :cup: I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday! :lol:

Room for improvement in my Spanglish but I get by. :abzv:

PreviousNext

Return to USA & Canada Travel