Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Canadians are rude and obnoxious

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 24th, 2011
busman7 wrote:And give the government an opening for an excuse to cut off my social security so some Tamil Tiger Terrorist refugee claimant can get it? :cup: I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday! :lol:

Room for improvement in my Spanglish but I get by. :abzv:

So El Salvador is good for Canadians on benefits who don't understand what people around them are saying and don't intend on naturalizing. Bit of a stretch from that rather limited case to a categorical position that El Salvador is better than Canada, don't you think? The majority of Salvadoreans would probably trade passports with you in an instant, if they had the opportunity.

Toyo

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2011
+1 Marmalade :wine:

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Felix the Hat wrote:So El Salvador is good for Canadians on benefits who don't understand what people around them are saying and don't intend on naturalizing. Bit of a stretch from that rather limited case to a categorical position that El Salvador is better than Canada, don't you think? The majority of Salvadoreans would probably trade passports with you in an instant, if they had the opportunity.

You are making a lot of a$$umptions on what I know & intend on doing.

If they did trade the majority would wish to be back here within a year, once they found out the streets weren't paved with gold & opportunities to make a decent living have become severely limited.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:If they did trade the majority would wish to be back here within a year, once they found out the streets weren't paved with gold & opportunities to make a decent living have become severely limited.

Very doubtful. I work in immigration, and can assure you the flow between Anglo North America and countries like El Salvador is a hundred times lopsided in one direction - heading north. As a citizen of a wealthy country (Canada), you are coming from a vastly different perspective, with benefits unavailable to Salvadoreans. Do you think Salvadoreans retire on social security, and move to other countries? They don't even get social security. For all of your misrepresentation about how safe San Salvador is (frankly, you are extremely irresponsible with your advice on this forum about San Salvador, which has one of the highest murder rates in the Western Hemisphere), it isn't safe. On the contrary, it is a rather dangerous city. You remind me of someone who enjoys his dinners at a Haitian restaurant in Montreal, and tells everyone that it's perfectly safe to visit Port-au-Prince.

You have nothing in common with the average Salvadorean - you are wealthier, you can leave El Salvador whenever you want (with your golden passport - do you think Salvadoreans can just waltz into Canada?), you don't even speak the language.

As much as you claim Canada sucks, you are perfectly happy to accept the benefits it gives you - namely, its passport and diplomatic protection, and financial benefits it pays you and that you make stretch by living in a poor country. You are not living the life of a Salvadorean. You are living a life of a relatively wealthy Canadian in El Salvador. You don't worry about maras, do you? Salvadoreans do.

I'm making a bit deal out of it because I work with Salvadoreans quite often. You obviously lack the perspective and empathy and insight to make sweeping judgments on what motivates them to risk their lives to get to the US and Canada, and it's kind of offensive the way you do from your safe little slice of Canada on Costa del Balsamo.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Don't tell me about diplomatic protection Canada gives it's citizens because it's zilch, nada & as far as the social security goes I spent 40+ years working for it & have no qualms about accepting it, as far as moving south to stretch it goes.

I would love to see you try & live on it in Canada, perhaps you should stick to commenting on things you know something about & leave Canada's social security system along with the safety of San Salvador alone as you obviously know nothing about either or about me for that matter.

Actually it is you who is doing a disservice t the forum badmouthing one of the safest cities, to visit, in Central America! :censored:

The thing about immigration is that one needs skills to survive in the cold countries & from what I've experienced with El Salvadorian workers is, you have to stand-over them the entire job or it won't be done right + they argue, whine & complain should you suggest doing it the way you want it. Not a concept that's going to endear them to Canadian bosses.

Actually I would find your posts where you twist the facts to suit your point of view + the inane comments you make about subjects you know very little about to be a tad offensive if I didn't know your profession. :hehe:

The doctor at the clinic is great but Canada wouldn't give him a license as he would show up the incompetent homegrown quacks.

mrdarcys_cravat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 8th, 2011
As a Canadian, I'm taken aback that you could judge an entire country and its people based on the drunkest night of the year (where you, in fact, weren't sober), at one party. Surely you realize that every country has people on all ends of the spectrum? I, for one, find Canadians to generally be a very polite bunch. While I run into people who don't fit the generalization, I don't go off about how "Canadians are rude and obnoxious".

Please learn that the actions of a small group of people don't represent the country as a whole. If you aren't happy in Canada, I'm sure you could find another country to call home that you fit in with more.
Europe for 3 months, Summer '11: http://theelephantvanishes.wordpress.com/

TerryLBaker

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2011
I've found that the people on both coasts are incredibly kind, but I can't say the same for Montreal, or other francophone cities. Could be a cultural thing?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

TerryLBaker wrote:I've found that the people on both coasts are incredibly kind, but I can't say the same for Montreal, or other francophone cities. Could be a cultural thing?

Depends on whether you speak French - I love the people in Montreal. Someone who can't/won't speak English probably would think the people in Vancouver or Winnipeg to be chilly.

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

I would love to see you try & live on it in Canada,

You're not supposed to live on it. It's supposed to keep you from being destitute.

Is that why you're so pissy towards Canada? Did you think you were going to live the high life on CPP and OAS? For the first time I'm actually feeling sorry for you.

Re: Rude and obnoxious: I like Markus' post. You meet all kinds of people in every country.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Actually it is you who is doing a disservice t the forum badmouthing one of the safest cities, to visit, in Central America! :censored:

I'm going with Felix's statistics and my personal experience at night time. In my experience, when people need to have a man armed with an automatic weapon sitting outside of a 7-11 to keep it safe, there is definitely something unsafe about wandering around un-armed at night.

When every nightclub and home of any value have their own armed guards and gates, then something is unsafe about the streets.

Quetzaltenango, on the other hand, seemed much safer, and the only city to almost match San Salvador that I have been to is Guatemala city, and not in a good way.

I don't mind your other opinions, but when you send Newbies into a potentially deadly environment by declaring the safety of an area, that seems a bit irresponsible. Sure go there, during the day, and get your bus there, but nighttime is a whole other issue. People need to be aware of this before they commit to a few days in the city to see the 'sights'.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 10th, 2011
Oh give it a break with the armed guards! EVERY CA city has a proliferation of armed guards.

Actually the only CA cities I have felt unsafe in during the dayare Guate & San Jose.

To even mention San Salvador & Guatemala City in the same sentence is when comparing safety is doing a disservice to forum members IMO :!:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:To even mention San Salvador & Guatemala City in the same sentence is when comparing safety is doing a disservice to forum members IMO :!:

San Salvador is a bit worse than Guatemala City.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Oh give it a break with the armed guards! EVERY CA city has a proliferation of armed guards.

The stats for the murder rate there speaks for itelf.

Quetzaltenango doesn't. Nor do most cities in Guatemala. The ones that might be said to have them, Managua, Tegucigalpa, etc have also been alleged to be more dangerous than the average city.

The key point I mentioned is that there are CIVILIANS running about with automatic weapons openly at night, not police or even uniformed guards. Its a whole different game, then. How can you tell the guards from the bad guys except when the weapons are pointed at you?

I love Copan, which is a city in Honduras, and never felt unsafe there. I also had a great time in the Shore areas of El Salvador, and I camped out with friends in El Bayo de Puercos, which was a bit funny and difficult to find a spot to camp, but we were perfectly safe once we figured out the system there. The swimming was not exactly fine, but you can't beat the view of 20 miles of seemingly un-inhabited white sanded beachfront filled with coconut trees. The water was clean, but being the Pacific, it was better suited to wake boarding then wading out and body surfing.

I'm not even saying that El Salvador seems unsafe, only it's capital city.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Tortuga_traveller wrote:I'm not even saying that El Salvador seems unsafe, only it's capital city.

La Libertad city is dodgy at night, but the rest of the country really tranquilo.

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Wow, this thread is still going on???? And somehow it's degenerated into the ongoing discussion of safety in San Salvador??? Amazing! Maybe Bootsnall needs to create a separate forum for San Salvador. :lol: :lol:
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

PreviousNext

Return to USA & Canada Travel