Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Canadians are rude and obnoxious

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 11th, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:
Tortuga_traveller wrote:I'm not even saying that El Salvador seems unsafe, only it's capital city.

La Libertad city is dodgy at night, but the rest of the country really tranquilo.

Perhaps but I'll take La Puerto over Flin Flon any day. 8-)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:
Felix the Hat wrote:
Tortuga_traveller wrote:I'm not even saying that El Salvador seems unsafe, only it's capital city.

La Libertad city is dodgy at night, but the rest of the country really tranquilo.

Perhaps but I'll take La Puerto over Flin Flon any day. 8-)

El Puerto.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

El Puerto.[/quote]

Correct you are unless one is speaking Spangench. ;)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I got nothing to say here other than the topic's veered off to busman's favourite old saw to play...San Salvador. Why not take that talk over to the thread that covers it? This is about how us Canadians are obnoxious after heavy drinking. Surprising to me, because Canadians have incredible constitution and rigorous training in saying "please" and "sorry".
Good Luck Out There.

luvntravel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2011
I find this to be completely true in my limited experience with my Canadian friends. I am hoping, however, that my opinion remains limited to the few select individuals that I know and does not apply tho the entire country full of people. :D

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2011
Thanks for being so open minded luvntravel.....was going to do a joke here, but worried about the consequences.

D
Good Luck Out There.

dragonfly88

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 15th, 2011
Just another obnoxious Canadian piping in. I hope my obnoxiousness does not offend. I am making an appearance at 3 or 4 drunken parties this weekend, hopefully well attended by wide-eyed Americans who I can offend with my obnoxious behaviour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TerryLBaker

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Felix the Hat wrote:
TerryLBaker wrote:I've found that the people on both coasts are incredibly kind, but I can't say the same for Montreal, or other francophone cities. Could be a cultural thing?

Depends on whether you speak French - I love the people in Montreal. Someone who can't/won't speak English probably would think the people in Vancouver or Winnipeg to be chilly.

Valid point, should have thought that one through a little further!

dragonfly88

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

My apologies for my previous, obnoxious post... my sarcasm sometimes does get the better of me !

I was born and raised in Montreal and the surrounding area and lived there until my mid-thirties and now live in the Toronto area. I was raised in English, but was well exposed to the French atmosphere, as half of my family is French. My experience in Montreal/Quebec... I see everyone as being good people. Yes, there are the odd ones, as in any culture, country or climate, who are obnoxious megalomaniacs, but they can be tolerated by hitting Ignore... if you get my drift...

I find a couple of issues here...

1) There is way too much "generalizing". Just because a few are "obnoxious"... right away, an entire country is obnoxious... sounds like a very short-sighted and a simple-minded attitude to me...

2) has anyone taken into account the fact that, as cities grow larger and larger, there is a tendency for people to be a little more "standoffish"... they have the "don't want to get involved" attitude... When I came from Montreal to Toronto in the early 90's, I was told that Toronto was a very cold city. I found this to be the appearance, at first, but, upon digging deeper, I found them to be quite good, caring, happy people. Bottom line... I gave it time and put work into building relationships... I went a little further than One Drunken Party...

I am EXTREMELY happy and proud to call myself a Canadian...

My two cents...

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

My condolences to anyone from Montreal being forced to endure COTU, same happened to me & after 30+ yrs of putting up with it, am EXTREMELY happy & proud to be an X-pat enjoying life in El Salvador :rockout:

dragonfly88

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Sorry to hear that...

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 25th, 2011
Wow. This is quite the thread.

The demographics of the rude-ones and the nice-ones never came up... are these specific instances influenced by social status/age/metro/rural/etc?

I have family in Vancouver/Victoria and Minnesota (north) and find them to be very hard working (farmer and business types) that will help if asked but remain distant (could be interpreted as unfriendly) if you don't reach out!

Also, I liked the story posted above.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

RyuKamagata

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2011
busman7 wrote:And that was Vancouver, should see the dufuseses in the GTA that think they live in COTU (the center of the universe), add a police state dictatorship & you have the reason I am an ex-pat.

I think there is definitely more "attitude" in Vancouver than in Toronto, or at least a different kind of attitude... But still, if you look hard enough, there are great people in both cities! Just need to know where to look, and where not to look... :lol:

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
I can't believe that this thread has gone as far as it has. (Wait a minute, that's partially my fault, isn't it?)

Erika Ayala

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2011
Really? Generally speaking, I find Canadians very warm and friendly. They might look arrogant but when you get to know them, you'll see that they're one of the nicest!
I had college friends who are Canadian and they're like other nationalities, even sweeter.
Maybe our perspective on these Canadians differ based on experiences. :)
It's for the Kids!! Support Adopt A School

PreviousNext

Return to USA & Canada Travel