Discuss everything from climbing Machu Picchu, expeditions in the Outback, rafting the Zambezi River, hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, shark diving in the Bahamas, or anything that offers a little bit of excitement in the great outdoors.

Cape Wrath Trail

danmowinski

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: scotland
  • Added on: November 26th, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums and checking out all the fantastic content, what a place :)

I'm planning on trekking the cape wrath trail solo next spring/summer.

Was wondering if anybody's done it?

Dan.

Hedonist

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 31st, 2012
I have not walked the trail but have hiked some parts of it as day hikes.

You do not say where you are from and what experience you have of wilderness travel. This trail is not for the neophyte. While there is nothing about it that an experienced wilderness hiker properly equipped cannot expect to deal with, it is in parts quite remote.

If you tell me you have walked the West Highland Way or the Appalachian Trail or similar, then fine, all I would add is probably the biggest risk is hypothermia given the normal weather conditions in Scotland. So being prepared to avoid that would be a priority.

If you have never walked a long distance before then it is not a route for a first solo trip.

danmowinski

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2013
Hi Hedonist,

I've got a fair bit of wilderness hiking experience. I was born in a little village just on the corner of the Peak district so I spent a lot of my youth hiking (amongst other places). Appreciate the concern though :P

Coincidentally, I have decided to walk the Highland Way this year instead as practice, putting off Cape Wrath until next year. Thought it best to get a bit of a taste of the country first.

I'm so excited about visiting Scotland for the first time!

Locomotion Scotland

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2014
Hi there,
I was up at Cape Wrath just last month. Did not take on the serious walking but it is reputed to be tough going. Very, very isolated. Watch out for the regular bombings by the RAF as well (and unexploded bombs)! Wrote about the tour guided part of it on my website (in sig). Not quite as committed or challenging an experience as the hike but might give you a good idea of the terrain.

Return to Adventure Travel