Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Carnival 2005 Salvador

coltidy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 14th, 2004
Hi,

I am keen to go to Salvador for the carnival period (04-09feb).

It seems there is not a big problem flying into brazil around carnival time.

I am flying into to Sao Paulo and was going to fly or catch the dreaded 34 hour bus journey up north to Salvador.

The only problem I have is finding some accommodation (cheap) in Salvador.

Any suggestions ?

I haven't looked into Rio as the brazilians I have talked to said Salvador is the place to be for Carnival.

sca3331

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 28th, 2004
hi coltidy,

Did you ever find cheaper accomodations? I can't find any either. I am probly flying into Sao Paolo and then getting a flight straight to Salvador. have you found cheap flights for that leg? Any info would be much appreciated!

S

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 31st, 2004
Do NOT buy 2 separate flights. You will get hosed. When you buy a ticket from the US to Brazil, the domestic Brazil legs are almost free. For example the price difference between SFO-Sao Paulo, and SF0-Salvador is usually less than $100. If you buy the SP-Salvador by itself, it's $500-700.(and it's no better buying it while in Brazil)

The other option is to buy a Varig airpass. It would allow you stops in 4 or more cities in the Northeast starting at $419.

sca3331

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 3rd, 2004
thanks for the advice, from what I have found flying right into salvador is incredibly expensive as well. So I think we are going to take the 30 hour bus ride. we have time (a couple of days, and I am sure there are great places tostop along the way....do you have any suggestions on where to stop? from rio to salvador or sao paolo to Salvador? ThankS!

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 7th, 2004
I see right now on Varig's website, flights from LA to Rio or Sao Paulo are $772. , and flights from LA to Salvador are $782. Only $10 more.
I agree that all flights to Brazil are overpriced compared to say Asia, where you can always find bargains.

Try some consolidators first before you do the bus deal. The bus would be really ok if it was not your first time in Brasil, and if you knew the language etc. Even so, You'll be fine on the bus, but you won't enjoy it near as much, and it will eat up valuable vacation time. Smile

sca3331

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 9th, 2004
Thanks for the info. We are actually going to fly into Rio 2 weeks before and then take the bus from Rio and take our time and see the country on the way up. That ought to break up the 34 hour rideSmile

Sisuphile

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2004
Sca and Coltidy, check your private messages.

Return to Central America Travel