What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Catching fish and cooking it.

IloveAfrica

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 20th, 2010
Hi there I always take a rod and reel with me when I travel and I am very keen on eating what I catch so I am very interested in recipes for fish and bait required to catch them. So I thought I'd share one with you so that you might share yours with me. I recently went on a trip fishing in the Zambezi staying at a place called Jungle Junction a small Island on the zambian side where the tiger fishing is amazing. I caught several big ones spinning using rapala lures(bright silver ones) but the best results were with a spinner with the name mepps black fury . So here goes;

1) BBQ Tiger fish.

Ingredients: One whole freshly caught 3KG or bigger Tiger fish.
One small onion.
Two cloves of garlic.
Two fresh red chillies
Mixed herbs( two teaspoons)
Salt and pepper
Barbeque spice.
Method. Descale and gut tiger fish. Finely chop onions and garlic,remove and discard seeds from red chillies and finely chop skins, place all these in a small bowl add mixed herbs and a teaspoon of barbeque spice and mix by hand. Stuff stomach cavity of tiger fish with this mixture. Salt and pepper the skin and then wrap the fish in tin foil. BBQ over white hot coals for ten to fifteen minutes on each side or until ready. Serve with maize meal porridge or rice. Serves four.

Comments: The tiger fish is a bit bony so anything smaller than 3kg is a bit troublesome to eat so throw the small ones back. It is a bit oily so don't add any oil as it is wrapped in foil it cooks itself. The end result is a fantastic yellow fish meat with a chickeny texture. Lovely.

deblet76

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 21st, 2010
Great thread!

We spent a month on the beach of Roatan and did a lot of fishing and eating fish caught both by us and others. The weather was hot so cooking was really heating up our apartment. Then we remembered Ceviche and never went back to cooking our fish. Of course, since its a recipe from this part of the world the ingredients were readily available and very cheap.

Our Ceviche recipe:

Squeeze 3 juicy limes into a tupperware. Squeeze 1 juicy orange into the tupperware. The orange was the best way to get more juice for our squeezing effort. Cut fish into small pieces and add to the tupperware. Add some salt.

Let the fish sit in the juice for an hour or so in the fridge until the fish is "cooked".

Then add chopped garlic, chopped onion, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro and let sit another hour or so in the fridge. If you want, add chopped mango, hot peppers, cayanne pepper sauce or whatever else tastes good.

Eat with avocado and crackers or chips.

Yummy.
Follow our continuing travel through Central America here:

http://www.robanddebourway.blogspot.com

Left 1/8/2010; Home 8/5/2010; Back on the road 9/15/2010

IloveAfrica

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2010
Thanks deblet this sounds like an excellent way to 'cook' fish especially if it is raining and you can't start a fire. You didn't tell me what bait you used mate. I have recently returned to the UK to visit my friends and family before returning to Botswana in August. Me and my mate went to Wales sea fishing last weekend and caught some quite sizeable dogfish. We were using sand eels and casting with a big weight from the rocks. My mate was about to throw them back when I protested and said that there must be a way to prepare and eat them so he said OK and I got onto google and set about finding a way of sorting it out so that we could devour our catch, so here is what I found out and did.

1) Preparing the dog fish:After gutting nail the Dogfishes head to a tree and cut a grove into the thick sandpaper like skin just below the head but before the first set of fins. Get a pair of plyers and grip the fins and pull the skin away from the body. Cut off the head and tail. Remove the spine which is cartridge and you will remain with two fillets.

2) Marinade: The dogfish is of the shark family so urinates through it's skin, so it is neccessary to marinate in a weak acid to sort out a bad taste, lemon, vinegar or wine will do the trick. Here's the marinade I used; Two tablespoons lemon juice, three cloves garlic, one tablespoon olive oil, pinch of paprika, pinch of parsley. Marinade for at least two hours in the fridge.

3) Cook: Dip fillets of fish into plain flour and then fry in a little olive oil for around eight minutes turning once. Serve with chips, make a sandwich or serve with rice.

We met some fishermen who told us the dogfish was inedible but my perseverance proved them wrong as this turned out to be delicious. My mate has been chucking them back for weeks but now he reckons they are the best.

JASON

Lancer786

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2010
I love to catch fishes but never tried to cook them, lol i don't think i could do it but never mind i'll try to do it now by your method and if something goes wrong then I'll invite you to eat it :D

tracybarb

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2010
Lancer786 wrote:I love to catch fishes but never tried to cook them, lol i don't think i could do it but never mind i'll try to do it now by your method and if something goes wrong then I'll invite you to eat it :D

:-D its so funny! If you search for "fish recipes" in Google, you will get million recipes... Thats not a big deal..You will really enjoy eating, if you catch fish and cook them
Get your travel guide here

partymarty4870

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2010
my simple and easy favourite is a baked or BBQ whole fish.

ingredients
1 fish
1 packet curry/laksa/stirfry paste
1 can coconut milk

make a foil bowl/boat for the fish,

then smear the paste over the fish, you can score it for effect or to get more flavour,

put it in the foil.

tip the coconut milk over it all and seal with foil

cook

eat

It really is that easy and looks impressive too. It's a favourite camping recipe of mine - sampled on Barramundi mainly but it works with any whole fish or even a very large fillet
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns

travellover

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 8th, 2010
BBQ Fish sound so delicious, thanks for sharing!
I love to catch fishes and had a great experience in “James River”. It is a perfect place for fishing, the best way to fishing on the James River is to do float trips with a canoe, and enjoy a fishing day out. It becomes a famous destination for fishing tour.

Best Regards,

Curt1591

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 8th, 2010
When camping, I've found that just about anything rolled up in foil, with onions, potatoes, a little garlic, and a few pats of butter, then roasted in coals, usually turns out pretty tasty!

IloveAfrica

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2010
You guys have given me some great ideas on cooking fish but you keep failing to tell me how you caught them what bait are you using or are you catching with a net. please note we are catching the fish here before cooking them so don't forget this is not a thread for the supermarket fish buyer or the posh fishmonger dweller. keep it real and live the dream you've got to catch gut and descale it at to really appreciate that wonderful omeaga 9 hit. jason

deblet76

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 10th, 2010
We went out with a local guy on his boat. We started with small land crabs that we caught ourself on shore and used those to catch some smaller fish that we were then able to use to catch some bigger fish. One day we just used some of the smaller fish to make our ceviche. The parrotfish were great because they were tasty and had less bones than some of the other small fish.
Follow our continuing travel through Central America here:

http://www.robanddebourway.blogspot.com

Left 1/8/2010; Home 8/5/2010; Back on the road 9/15/2010

Texasdiverlove

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 13th, 2013
Sounds good to eat. Try this method if you like :)

travelhog164

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 8th, 2014
Best way I have ever had sardines is putting them on a stick, pinch of salt and cook over an open fire. That and some chips or potatoes, and you can't go wrong.

loving all the recipes, please keep them coming.

supertrooper

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 7th, 2014
This sounds great, I've always been put off cooking fish because I worry about having to prepare them, but this has inspired me.

Return to Food & Travel