A forum for meeting other BootsnAll members on the road, finding travel partners and splitting the costs of a road trip. Also a place to search for long-lost road friends.

Central America starting in Feb?

kpaige

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: central america, guatemala, nicaragua, costa rica, el salvador, honduras, volunteer, travel buddies
  • Added on: October 25th, 2008
I'm thinking about it- anyone else interested?

I'm leaning towards starting at a spanish school in Guatemala, and then......I'm pretty flexible from there! I want to volunteer for a significant portion of that time period.

My plan is for three to four months in Central America-

send me a message if you are thinking about heading that way!

~kpm

dbat

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2008
I'm planning to be in Guatemala by late January or early February and then heading toward South America. Probably doing a home stay in Guatemala for the Spanish lessons as well and will be doing volunteer work in Honduras and Nicaragua. Also helping some friends in Costa Rica who run a hostel and tour operation company.

I have a few other friends that will be meeting up along the way and probably a side trip to Cuba if anyone's interested.
Duane

http://www.myspace.com/dbat

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2008
I'm headed for Cancun and then onwards through southern Mexico and into CA starting in early-mid January. I'd also like to do some language training in Guat and intend to do some volunteering. I have no time schedule so not sure when I'm going to be where but would be interested in meeting up with folks along the way. Budget travel is easier with a group.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

dbat

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2008
I have some friends that are meeting in Cancun the last week of January but headed to Cuba for a couple weeks before going south. So probably wont be in Guatemala until mid-Feb or so.
Duane

http://www.myspace.com/dbat

Curtis ATL

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2009
Just returned end of November from Guatemala 8-day trek.

Great place, nice people.

Visited Tikal, Panajachel at Lake Atitlan, Chichicastanago, and many small towns. Carefully bypassed most of the tourist areas including Guate and Antigua. But, did pass through Antigua one evening on a shuttle and thought it may be great place to see (flat and very planned Colonial city that reminded me of Spain and a bit of the French Quarter in New Orleans). Lots of Spanish schools there and everywhere really.

Spoke with people living in Costa Rica who were visiting Guate on Holiday and they say that they like Guate better. Safer and better roads if you believe that. I hope you can visit Nicaragua safely. I heard there are deals there.

Best thing about Guate are the prices for hostels and food prices. Worst thing are for the taxi drivers who will steal from unsuspecting tourists. Beware of the taxi drivers. . . .

este

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2009
Well I land in Belize on march 6th and from there I have just about no definite plans :D

I am heading south from there but which countries, cities, times, and dates are all up in the air.

I have done the euro thing and been to CR for a week and a half but haven't backpacked through CA and SA before. If you or for that matter anyone else will be in CA / SA from March on let me know and maybe we can meet up.

Hasta

Ps My spanish is rusty but decent so if someone is looking for a buddy who can speak spanish I might be their guy ;)

jnj1688

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2009
I am headed to Guatemala on 4.25. I will be in Xela until mid-May studying spanish and then on to Santiago, Chile.

Return to Travel Buddies