Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Central America Warnings

zoomcharlieb

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 16th, 2009
I was goiing to walk that stretch of road from Lago de Atitlan to San Pedro as I had just gotten through hiking over a hundred miles in the jungle and wanted to keep in shape, but the hotel owner of El Bambu said it wasn't a good idea, that there were "friendly bandits" over there who would take most of your stuff, but generally if you pleaded with them they wouldn't take everything. Not wishing to experience a "friendly bandit" I took the ferry. I think it is pretty well lknown around the lake.

juan3

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 23rd, 2009
One must pay very close attention to local knowledge in Guatemala as to the places and situations to avoid due to increased crimes involving tourists.

This month (July) there were two reported robberies of groups hiking the Acatenango Volcano, just outside Antigua. Both groups were attacked by 6 or more armed robbers. In one group, a sexual attack was also attempted. In the other group, armed guards were shot.

At one time, tourists in Guatemala were sacrosanct. This, sorrowfully, is no longer true.
----------------------------------------- I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.-Mark Twain

titoA

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2010
The Drug Cartels seemed to have taken over Central America and crime is rampant, perhaps Costa Rica might have been spared somewhat. I would exercise extra caution in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatermala.

Previous

Return to Central America Travel