The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Cheap flight Canada/US to Bangkok

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 2nd, 2011
Not sure where to post this so will put it here.

Was checking flights to Phnom Penh or Bangkok & stumbled across this www.aerosvit.com based in the Ukraine they fly Airbus planes from NYC & Toronto to Bangkok via Kiev. The fare for a date in mid June YYZ-KBP-BKK is only $634 taxes in for the 21hr 40 min flight including the stop in Kiev.

Around 1/2 of what American Airlines (normally the cheapest) price came in at.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Similarly, I've found a lot of good deals from Aeroflot - they're based in Russia. Less than $600 for a RT ticket to Kiev, departing from Washington DC.

'tis the season for cheaper airfare, after all :D
needle girl, haystack world: tales of a television producer in search of adventure.

busman7

Share on Orkut

Depends on where you are flying, best deal I can find San Salvador to Toronto is $568 on American & that's only a 5 hr flight.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2011
Crew pay and overhead costs are a big influence. I'm sure those Ukrainian pilots aren't pulling in 6 figures, nor are the dispatchers, maintenance staff, cabin crew, accountants, etc... But to be flying from Toronto or New York, where there's actually choices would be truly lovely. Here it's Air Canada or...Air Canada. In North America + sun destinations there's also Westjet, and maybe a flight every 1-2 weeks with Air Transat. I guess I could pay extra and get a strip search thrown in by flying Continental or United, but I prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

Flying anywhere international for under $1k requires a lot of fare watching, and a bit of luck.

busman7

Share on Orkut

2wanderers wrote:Crew pay and overhead costs are a big influence. I'm sure those Ukrainian pilots aren't pulling in 6 figures, nor are the dispatchers, maintenance staff, cabin crew, accountants, etc... But to be flying from Toronto or New York, where there's actually choices would be truly lovely. Here it's Air Canada or...Air Canada. In North America + sun destinations there's also Westjet, and maybe a flight every 1-2 weeks with Air Transat. I guess I could pay extra and get a strip search thrown in by flying Continental or United, but I prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

Flying anywhere international for under $1k requires a lot of fare watching, and a bit of luck.

Can't you hop on a bus to Montana & catch a real airline, lots of people from Toronto go to Buffalo to get better prices & last I heard Air Crappy was adopting Homeland Stupidity,s TSA guidelines.

Hopefully the Ukrainian airline hasn't fallen for that TSA foolishness yet. :stooges:

Just remembered flew Westjet YYJ-YYZ for a hair over $300 tax in last July, provided you can get a decent price out of Alberta, you could still get to BKK for under $1,000.

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:Can't you hop on a bus to Montana & catch a real airline, lots of people from Toronto go to Buffalo to get better prices & last I heard Air Crappy was adopting Homeland Stupidity,s TSA guidelines.
So far the TSA guidelines only apply to flights with stops in the US. Hopefully it'll stay that way. Also, it's not Air Canada's call...it's entirely up to the bureaucrats at CATSA.

As for Montana, that's really funny. You've clearly never been to Montana. Let's just say that Great Falls isn't Buffalo (there's a reason they call the flyover states), and Edmonton isn't Toronto. The nearest US airport is a 9 hour drive away, and bussing is not an option (the bus to Great Falls goes via Vancouver and Seattle and takes a total of 50.5 hours each way, over $400 round trip...if I were up for that, I think I'd stop in Seattle, only 26.5 hours and $320). Not being Buffalo, Great Falls has mediocre flight prices. There's money to be saved, but barely enough to pay for the cost of getting there (and that much only in extreme cases) and it's certainly not worth the time.

No, I'll just stick to flying from Edmonton, though I do check prices from Calgary. I figure I have to save at least $200 for it to be worth the time and expense of getting to Calgary, and though it's usually a bit cheaper, never quite enough.

busman7

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2011
[quote="2wanderers"]

and bussing is not an option (the bus to Great Falls goes via Vancouver and Seattle and takes a total of 50.5 hours each way, over $400 round trip...

Absolutely unbelievable that public transportation in the Canada & the US is so pathetic that, that's the only option to a 9 hr drive.

Just priced San Salvador to Peterborough ON by bus, from San Salvador to the US border at Laredo there were multiple options of companies & bus classes however from Laredo there was no choice only Greyhound.

The trip would take 89.5 hrs (driving time, not counting layovers), would likely spread it over 6-7 days, but only cost $433

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2011
busman7 wrote:The trip would take 89.5 hrs (driving time, not counting layovers), would likely spread it over 6-7 days, but only cost $433

Yeah, but the money you'd spend en route would eat up much more than the difference between the bus and airfares.

busman7

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:
busman7 wrote:The trip would take 89.5 hrs (driving time, not counting layovers), would likely spread it over 6-7 days, but only cost $433

Yeah, but the money you'd spend en route would eat up much more than the difference between the bus and airfares.

This is true but should make for an interesting trip 8-) , not so sure about the part on the US & Canadian dog though :roll: + has the added bonus of not having to land at a US airport & being subjected to the nude scanners & the TSA pat-down Perverts. :censored:

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum