Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Cheap & Free City Guides for Asia

JessieS

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 13th, 2006
Consider this your table of contents to the Cheap & Free City Guides that have been written for Asia. If you'd like to add to one of the existing ones, feel free - better yet, start your own about a city not yet listed! For information on how the guides got started, and ideas on what to put in yours, check out this thread. And when you've written yours, please send me a PM so I can add it to this list.

Cheap & Free in Asia
Hiroshima
Manila
Wuhan
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

CarlosAlbert

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2009
After having traveled to Thailand I can easily say that there is no where on earth like it. GReat culture, weather, beaches, people, and very good prices. I spent a week in Thailand at what it would cost me for 2 days in New York City. I would advise you check it out. I did Bangkok for 3 days and then went to Phuket for 4. You can live like a millionare on a low budget.
If you need information regarding a Chile wine tour PM me.

sunflowerz

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2009
Thailand is one of the cheapest places to travel in Asia. A Thai meal ranges from 20-30 baht (less than a dollar). A bottle of beer is around 40-80 baht (1-2 dollar). There is many type of accommodations; guesthouses and hostels start at 300 baht a night (less than 10 dollar a night). If you're looking for value for your money, Thailand is a good choice. :)

happily lost

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 20th, 2009
In case anyone is going to Cambodia, they have excellent free city guides for all of the most popular towns. In particular the ones for Sihanoukville, Kampot, and Kap in the south were more useful than my guidebook. You can pick them up in guesthouses and bars. Other good guides are found in Phnom Penh and of course Siem Reap. Very useful for maps, things to do, restaurants, advice, etc.

guided

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2009
I have just released a Shanghai Destination Guide at holidayfu.com. It's relatively short, and is designed to get you on your feet after arriving. The huge amount of information available online and in English magazines distributed (mostly for free) in the city should keep you moving. You can download the guide as a pdf, and there's a form, for your feedback, at the bottom. I'd appreciate your thoughts on how the guide can be improved!
OldWorldWandering.com: A Travelogue

katz

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 16th, 2009
:D `Well, that's a very interesting topic, especially for travelers...! :lol:

credit
voiture

markayi

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 4th, 2009
Indoneisa is the cheapest place to visit, you can go there with a low budget cause the exchange rate from $$ to Rupiah is really great. For $1 you can get a delicious breakfast.

reno27

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 3rd, 2009
Agree with markayi. Indonesia is the cheapest travel destination. You can get nice meal only $0.5 even in some tourist attraction spot. Go to Jogjakarta and you will find that everything is cheap...but the quality is pretty good. You won't be dissapointed. check this out for more info http://www.yogyes.com/

ehong8295

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 3rd, 2010
I agree with those of you who said that Thailand is cheap... that is true, especially off the beaten path. Even if you want some luxury, you can definitely get it for much less than in the US or Europe.

We had a fabulous 4 course dinner in Phuket that was definitely Michelin star quality for less than 80 euros... we also hired our own boat for the afternoon (traditional longtail style.. very charming) for about 1000 bht, which is something like $30. You can also do the more adventure style backpacker stuff for peanuts... I stayed on Koh Phi Phi for about $10 a night w/AC and a private room!!

Bedhead

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 11th, 2010
I'm working on a city guide for Beijing, Basic Beijing: http://basicbeijing.com. The text is at the rough draft stage now, and is incomplete, but I think it will still help orient people who haven't visited Beijing before. I want to provide an expat's opinions on the place that will interest visitors the most. The things I wish I had known when I was just coming through as a traveler. Please check it out; I'd love to know what people think and what I could do to make the final site useful. Thanks!
If you're going to visit Beijing, get some tips from an expat on where to stay, where to eat, and where to have fun.

emilymichael87

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 17th, 2010
If it were me, with all of Asia to aim for and a month to play with, I would go for South East Asia.
Thailand has always been great place to visit especially the beaches of the southern region. It is certainly a paradise for travelers, Thailand has achieved remarkable achievements in the fields of fine arts like music, dance, paintings, sculpture and crafts

tracytravel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2010
sunflowerz wrote:Thailand is one of the cheapest places to travel in Asia. A Thai meal ranges from 20-30 baht (less than a dollar). A bottle of beer is around 40-80 baht (1-2 dollar). There is many type of accommodations; guesthouses and hostels start at 300 baht a night (less than 10 dollar a night). If you're looking for value for your money, Thailand is a good choice. :)

Oh its nice to hear that Thailand is really cheap travel destination where we can have economical trip! Thanks for the information but please let me know if the economic condition is same even now in Thai...

emilymichael87

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 25th, 2010
Thailand has always been great place to visit especially the beaches of the southern region. It is certainly a paradise for travelers, Thailand has achieved remarkable achievements in the fields of fine arts like music, dance, paintings, sculpture and crafts

Xanne

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2010
Looks like Thailand is a popular choice for a holiday despite the political unrest there. Isn't this post on free city guides? TravelFish is a common guide for South East Asia in particular.
Meet travel friends and explore the world with WorldFriends -- the International community where you can find new friends who love travel.

francis12

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 29th, 2010
Thailand is the cheapest and the most beautiful tourist destination in Asia. I've been there twice this year and still planning to come back.

Next

Return to Asia Travel