Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Cheap & Free City Guides for Europe

rembcn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: free, cheap, Europe
  • Added on: January 31st, 2010
I personally really like the unlike.net city guides. They're mostly on venues, but still worth a visit. There's guides on Amsterdam, Barcelona, Berlin, Copenhagen, Ibiza, London, Miami, Paris, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, South Africa, and Vienna. I just wished their iPhone app wasn't that pricy...

cybersusst

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2010
I'm living in Pristina right now, capital of Kosovo. I think it's a great city, very small and seems very safe. I have photos and some info on the place on my blog, I'll be putting up more as the time goes by. For any specific questions about Kosovo PM me.

bobkerry

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2010
hey do let me know that without using any guide can we travel in an easy way or we need a better guide????i myself believe that guide is the best thing in order to make your tour proper and organzied....
do reply

Tommy35

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 22nd, 2010
Its probably a good idea for you to do a bit of research before you travel anywhere. You need to know what you should/shouldn't do and its always good to get a bit of knowledge before you arrive.
I personally quite like doing tours but obviously it depends how good your guide is!

lolasa

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 2nd, 2010
When visiting Sarajevo suggest Free Sarajevo Walking Tours. Its great thing to do for a quick rundown of all Sarajevo has to offer on journey from the Ottoman Empire to the Austro-Hungarian to the war period(92-95) till now (architectural and historical facts).

Qwovadis

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 30th, 2011
http://Www.eurocheapo.com

Good city guides for for major cities

Lots of cheap free stuff listed there

Plus cheap lodging.

Happy Travels,

anuraglidl

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 16th, 2011
patricia23 wrote:What is the average cost of budget hotels all over Europe? and How to pick hotels in Europe?

There are many site that can tell you about hotels in Europe but it would be helpful if you could specify the country in which you are interested.

Travelling Canuck

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 21st, 2011
Definitely look at http://www.inyourpocket.com. It's a fantastic guide book with hilariously honest reviews of restaurants/bars/clubs/cafes/museums/monuments/hostels/hotels/b&bs...everything you could possibly think of! Prices are included and it's nice to have an honest review for once... It also contains a ton of history on the city itself and also districts/areas within the city. You can access it online for various countries/cities. Once in the city itself, you can pick one up a tourist office for a small price, but I found that the majority of the hostels I stayed in had copies laying around for free. Cannot recommend enough!
Last edited by Travelling Canuck on February 27th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Road Warrior

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 28th, 2011
Check out http://traveleuropeonabudget.com/2011/free-guided-tours-in-europe you can get some cheap and free tours all over Europe.

lucian_lcr

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 28th, 2011
I usually prefer the free/cheap things. So I generally use wikipedia to read about the cities I will visit. But, sometimes, if the city is big and I don't have much time there, I take a paper guide. My favorite is Top 10 (Eyewitness Travel) - a guide by DK Publishing. It has top 10 places to see, restaurants, budget restaurants, local maps and many other info about the cities. It gives a lot of insights like local & not so touristic restaurants.

Harriet Freeman

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2012
If you're booking your accommodation with OK Apartment you'll receive a free pocket guide too. It shows handy maps, useful tips, the top tourist attractions, information about restaurants and more.

jykl

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 8th, 2012
A very useful thread I don't see in other forums.
Keep it up !!

During my last Europe trip, I joined a Berlin free city tour(you just tip the guide at the end) as soon as I arrive and I visit the other places on my own after that.

If you are traveling solo, you may feel lonely after sometime, joining such half day or full day free group tours is a good break.

zvonkova

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 24th, 2013
Prague gets a bad rap for being too touristy and Disneyland-ish. This is such a shame. There is still a cool Prague out there and one that is open to travelers who want to experience another side of the city. If you're the kind of traveler who wants to get off the beaten path in a city that's already been "discovered," then check out this alternative guide to Prague:

http://www.pragueoffthemap.com/

Alarly

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2013
I actually don't like guides.. I like to investigate the city by myself, don't like when somebody's hurring up me..

Local Advisor Verona

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2013
In case you visit Veneto region, if you plan to visit Verona, Lake Garda and Valpolicella you can find many specific info about history, events and other interesting subjects on www.holiday-verona.com

PreviousNext

Return to Europe Travel