Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Cheap & Free Zurich

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Tags: zurich, switzerland, free and cheap, cheap and free
  • Added on: October 29th, 2006
Transportation

• Train from airport into city: SFr 6.20 (I know of nothing cheaper. It is only ten minutes.) If you are in town for only 24 hours, then get a return ticket from the airport. Return tickets are de facto 24-passes so you will not have to pay for transport in town.
  • 24-hour public transportation pass for zone '10': SFr 8.00. It gets you on all bus, boat, tram and trains in town.
  • The city is very walkable, so maybe you don't even need a day pass?

Stuff to do and see

• Uetliberg: Picnic area, hotel and lookout tower. Great view of Zürich and the lake. On a clear day one can see France, Germany, Lichtenstein, and Austria. You can walk up (about 2-1/2 hour hike each way, 400-500m vertical) or take the train (CHF16 return, S-10 "Uetlibahn", every 30 minutes). A scale model of the solar system (Plantweg) is nearby--the Sun is near the train station and you walk past Mercury through Mars to reach the picnic area.

• "Kleine Rundfahrten" boat trip: departs from main Zurich boat terminal (Bürkliplatz) for a 1-1/2 hour. Scenic, pleasant, maybe bring a book. Mornings are best....afternoons are crowded. ~12 Francs, or if you have a daily city (Zone 10) then just pay for the additional zone 40 or 50 (you can organize this on the boat) as boats are part of the area transportation network. A summer time activity (April to mid-October).
  • Bahnhofstrasse: 1.4km mostly car-free street between the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and lake (Zürisee). A world famous and crazy expensive shopping meca.
  • Pestalozzianlage, a small green near the Hauptbahnhof end, is nice for to sit down in for lunch...they used to hang people in this square.
  • Paradeplatz is near the lake side end, which is the home of UBS and Credit Suisse and the chocolate shop and cafe Sprüngli. Very busy on Saturdays, neat Christmas lights in the winter, shops closed on Sundays.
  • Hauptbahnhof Market: Almost every Wednesday and many Saturdays (if no other function is occurring) from 11am to 7pm in the main hall. Locally made food stuffs, crafts and food stands (crepes, sausage, etc.) Good for lunch/snack and mother-friendly gifts. Open every day in early/mid-December with a Christmas gift bent.
  • Cabaret Voltaire: In Niederdorf, see the famous Bohemian joint, birth place of Dadaism, and formerly frequented by notables such as Mussolini, Lenin and other dubious characters. Café Odeon. Diagonal from Bellvueplatz tram stop.
  • Museums:
  • Swimming: Late June through August. Lakeside (China Garten) or River (The Letten, along Klosterfahrweg). Be warned...people will strip down to their Birthday suites regardless of age or sex...staring is impolite.
  • Paddle boats are for rent at several locations along the lake shore. Zürirollt (Free bike rentals!): Bring your passport and 20 Francs...they serve as deposit. Bikes are in great condition and have baskets. Day use only. Part of a Swiss 'work-fare' program. Locations move summer to summer but should be easy to find at http://www.zuerirollt.ch/
  • Stroll down Niederdorfstrasse: Pedestrianized zone, some of the oldest buildings in Zurich give you that small, historic European city feel. Lots of shopping, restaurants and girly bars. Home of continental Europe's very first Starbucks (@ Central Tram Station).

• Altstadtbummel (Old Town walking tour, historical). Two hours, contact the Tourist office. Self cater with food and booz from Coop. (Stay away from the Hauptbahnhof kiosks/mini-stores and their expensive prices.)
  • The most centrally located, large Coop grocery store is in between The Hauptbahnhof and the river.
  • Responsible drinking in public is acceptable in Zürich.
  • Free wi-fi at 'Imagine', a trendy cafe in the Hauptbahnhof
  • A beer with Stoo: Free! Three cheers for Christina for making these happen.
Last edited by Stoo on September 22nd, 2009, edited 1 time in total.
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 2nd, 2006
No, Stoo, nobody wants to come and visit you in Zurich.

nerokerr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Stoo came to visit me in Amsterdam.
We drank beer.

gymboy689

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by nerokerr:
Stoo came to visit me in Amsterdam.
We drank beer.

beer=good
visit in Amsterdam undoubtly=good

Bsshigg

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 4th, 2006
Near the Zoo in Zurich is the prettiest cemetery I have seen. Brenda
P.S. Stoo has not visited me in Dallas so we have not drank a beer togather.

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 4th, 2006
If you are flying into Zurich, use the bathrooms at the Zurich airport. The whole airport is amazing, clean, sparkly and modern.

It might be the last free bathroom you see in Europe.

webbod

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2006
quote:

Pft! you find free toilets all over Europe - in America I think you call them doorways Cracking Up
================
fan-o-the-year - Mwhahahahahaha!

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by webbod:
quote:

Pft! you find free toilets all over Europe - in America I think you call them doorways Cracking Up

That's awfully rich coming from a British resident. Three activities dominate life in London: Drinking, fighting and pissing in the streets!
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

webbod

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Calm down! Calm down! - I said "in America I think you call them doorways" - i.e. some locals consider them toilets - I didn't say Americans use doorways - just that's what you call those way towards doors things Wink
================
fan-o-the-year - Mwhahahahahaha!

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

just taking the piss, so to speak Wink

michey_b

Niagara Addict

Share on Orkut

So if i come to Zurich you will buy me beer as in plural - wow that's awfully generous Stoo.

Maybe we need to add Zurich to the list of bootie meet ups this year, especially if you are providing the beer! Trinque

Mich

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

When he implies "beer, plural", he is referring to milliliters.

Stoo will buy each person up to 300 milliliters of beer.

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 8th, 2006
333ml is as small as they come in Zürich, static. unlike you, i don't take friend-tax sips out of the beer I buy people!

I'll buy a second Stange (Schweizerdeutsch for small beer) for anyone who tells Jester that he is, despite the harsh reality, a very funny guy.

Oh, what the hell. If any of you actually make it out I'll buy you a couple of Stange.

michey_b

Niagara Addict

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2006
quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
I'll buy a second Stange (Schweizerdeutsch for small beer) for anyone who tells Jester that he is, despite the harsh reality, a very funny guy.

JESTER: I think you are a very funny guy!

There i now qualify for free beer Wink

Mich

dopeyzn

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 9th, 2009
Stoo wrote:A beer with Stoo: Free!

Yay... i'm coming to visit you, do i get my free beer(s)?? :P

Next

Return to Europe Travel