Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Cheapest way to fly into Europe

slimjimham

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 9th, 2008
Hey Guys,
I'm a first time traveler going at it alone in May for a month when I graduate from college. My question is this...

Where is the best cheapest place to fly into Europe?

I'm planning on going to Amsterdam, France, Italy, Prague, maybe Spain and Germany.

I have heard that Amsterdam is the cheapest to fly into (I think I found some tickets for just under $700 round trip)

Also do you recommends getting a Eurail pass for the places I plan to visit or will it be cheaper to pay as I go (I know there are reservation fees after you have the pass)... or something like Easyjet?

THANKS FOR YOU TIME GUYS... I'm looking to buy my tickets this Monday or Tuesday

PS- if anyone is going to be in Europe mid May and wants to meet up that would be fun- e-mail me, jim@winnersme.com

rawjer

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

London is almost always the cheapest, but if you are planning on skipping the UK the cheapest places are usually Frankfurt, Paris, and Amsterdam. Prices tend to be close so it's best to just sort out which of those is best for your itinerary once you get there. You might also consider flying into one city and out of another, which will cost a bit more, but will save you time and the cost of getting back to your starting place.

Eurail Passes are great for people who want to travel long distances in a short amount of time, and especially those concentrating on the northern half of Europe. Based on those cities it could be a close call.

metalhead

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

You can fly pretty cheap throughout europe. Easy Jet, Ryan Air, German Wings all have amazingly low fares. But I would still recomend the Eurorail ticket. The rail system here is top notch and much more comfortable and convenient than having to worry about getting to the airport two hours early, going through security, etc. And Europe is small enough where if you plan your trip right you won't have too many long stretches on the train. Go with the train.
R.I.P. Dimebag

There and Back Again

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Love the train and also feel you would miss out on a lot if you flew.
My travel blog: Reislust

slimjimham

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Thanks for the info, sounds like the rail is the way to go.

I know this is a difficult question to answer but how much money (USD) will I need not including the price of the flight but everything else including the rail.I was thinking $3000 but kind of expecting to run up about $500 or more on the credit card.

I know its different person to person but roughly - 4 weeks cost? ... not living too crazy but I do want to go to the bars and what not

any other tips or must see spots are appreciated.

jon m

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2008
you can do it for $3000 just fine I'd say, should be even able to party it up high class one or two times, so long as you stay at cheap hostels for the whole 4 weeks, also depends on how much you use the rails and so forth.

I just got back from Spain (round trip into Madrid was $486, Brussels air). The dollar was not doing so well. It was expensive just to eat, but I walked everywhere, didn't buy anything and so I was able to not spend too much.

For me at least I don't like being too frugal and cheap when I am away, I feel like you lose something, you need to have fun and eat at the good places, so that budget is fine

Also don't try to go everywhere in four weeks, spend a decent amount of time in at least a couple cities, or smaller towns and cities

slimjimham

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I'm the same way in regards to not wanting to be too frugal. When I'm in Italy I want to hit a really nice restaurant that I'd never be able to experience again.

I think as of now I'm planning on the first 5 days I fly into Amsterdam there (probably staying at the flying pig)... from there I'm deciding if I want to book hostel accommodation's in advanced or if I want to wing it...

What places do you recommend I spend some time in? I was thinking 5 days Amsterdam, probably 5 days in Prague, probably 5 days in Italy, a few days in Germany and Spain...

Fluffhead

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Hey Slim, welcome to the board.

I'm actually planing 6 weeks in Europe starting late April to mid June. I just bought tickets leaving on 4/29 out of LAX into London through Air Canada (strange) for $625, which I think is about as good as it gets for that time of year. If you're flying out of the east coast it should be even cheaper.

Personally, my plans are to hit London, Ireland, Amsterdam, Paris / France, Rome, then Prague... Hopefully Istanbul or some other Eastern countries if I have time. But I'm still dead in the middle of planning this so everything could change. From what I hear, you can do Amsterdam is 3 days quite easily, and my friend from Prague said you need 7 days there, but he's bias. Smile

Good luck! Keep me up to date on your plans, we'll have to meet up for a few beers somewhere if we can, as I'll be flying solo too.

Dave

jon m

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2008
Depends on what your into of course

I have not been to Amsterdam, but I hear it is touristy and you may be better off to spend only a couple days there and some in smaller towns and cities outside, same with Prague.

If you go to Italy you need spend time in Rome, even though is it really touristy, it is worth at least 4 days, Florence also deserves 3 or 4.

Like I said I just got back from Spain, and Madrid is a nice fun city, plenty to see and do, could easily fill up 4 days. But again smaller cities, like Cordoba, Valencia, are also worth your time.

RobinMarie

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

IF you're in Maine...You can either fly out of Montreal or Boston-Logan....I know Boston definitely flies cheap to Frankfurt and Milan. The other best bet is of course London. Depending on what airport you want to fly out of - do a search on that airport and find out where they fly direct in Europe and then go to kayak.com and start messing with dates and routes.

Also, I liked Amsterdamn, but agree you can do it quickly if need be.

slimjimham

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Damn Robin... now you have me thinking of where I want to fly into, and from where.

I think I want to fly into Amsterdam as it should be full of other people doing the same thing as me (in a language that I know).

Upon looking at tickets I can get some for $538 out of Boston, or $721 out of Portland <the town I live...

I'm thinking I'm going to spend the extra $200 to add independence to my trip where I wont need to ask anyone for a ride back and forth, not to mention I need to start my new job right when I get back, so it's not like I can fly into Boston and mess around for a few days trying to get back to Maine.

And Fluffhead, That sounds good to me, Maybe we could meet up in Amsterdam the 14th of May if you will be there around then. (how old are you anyways?)

Fluffhead

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I'm 23, about a year out of college... We'll have to figure out the dates closer to the actual time obviously, but I think I might be in Amsterdam earlier than the 14th unless I back track to it, but time will tell.

semicolon

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 12th, 2008
Amsterdam is GREAT place to fly into and first experience Europe.
Holland is friendly, English speaking and EASY to get around.
Just watch your money in the hostel. I was staying in a very nice hostel in Amsterdam and had all my cash stolen. Good thing they didn't take my passport or credit card.
ALWAYS lock your stuff up....even if you're "just" going to the shower or bath room.
Self-determining karma wannabe....

iKangaroo

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Hi Jim!

Amsterdam seems like a good place to start, however I would suggest that you skip Paris until the end because based on your countries it seems like you could end up in Spain, which would be a long haul back to Amsterdam.

As a rule of thumb, of course as you state all people are different, you should expect to spend about 60 Euro per day (including hostel, food, and drink + museums). I recommend staying in credible hostels, like the Flying Pig, even though they are more expensive they tend to be safer-but always watch your stuff. Ok, based on your $3000 you will have ~2068 Euro (i.e. $1.45 = 1 Euro)or 68 Euro per day. So based on a 60 per day budget you will have 240 Euro (8*30) for travel (which you might supplement with your $500 cushion). While you will not be living the highlife you should be good on cash, but be prepared for those $7 (5 Euro) pints to be the norm and not the exception.

I agree with the others who say to take the train because:

-Overnights can save a night of accommodation, which should be considered when you are booking.
-You will save money on not having to get to and from an airport because you will always arrive to the central train station.
-You won't get screwed if your bag becomes too heavy. The budget airlines have a ~35 lb. weight limit which can break the budget rather quickly if you exceed it. Ryanair Checked baggage allowance
- Budget airlines are famous for little fees which add up quickly, so they quickly lose their "budget" status.

Hope this helps.
Happy Travels,

Chris

http://www.ikangaroo.com
The Hip way to Hop around

alecks

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I think it all depends on where you're flying from, too. The bigger your airport hub is, the better deals you get. I also recommend looking into some open jaw flights, so you don't have to spend extra $$ or waste time to get back to your original des. I got lucky and was able to get a good deal on open jaw for Toronto-London-Paris-Toronto, May to June, for just under $700.

Next

Return to Europe Travel