The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Check your passport expiration!

aura

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 13th, 2003
Since 9/11 many countries have adopted this rule where you can't enter if your passport expires within 3 or 6 months. I was supposed to enter Greece last week but wasn't allowed to board cuz mine expires in 2 months. It was pretty traumatic, so I thought I'd announce this to keep people from getting stuck.

Dustyshoes

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 13th, 2003
Yes, The United States has the same rules. Your passport should have more than 6 months left prior to expiry. I just had to renew mine.

thanks for sharing this info.
-----------------------------------
My blogs
The Writer's Cyberslate
Books on my shelves

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 15th, 2003
I just ran into that one myself.

I had less than six months to go on my passport, and what with a 'spur of the moment' trip, paid the extra fee to get a new one.

The new one is OK, but it only has a couple of stamps in it. My old one was filled!

Jenz

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 16th, 2003
6 months left on the Visa at least is the usual rule and is something all travel agents should ask when booking anyones overseas trip otherwise travellers get all sorts of hassles.

It's usually 6 months after your departure date and not when you enter.

It is better to get the new passport done than try to travel on it and get rejected when overseas Frown

Things aren't as simple as the olden days when you could sail the world serendipity lots of rules and politics, but if you have the basics right like Visas and Passport it's not so bad.

ogb4619

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

No, it has nothing to do with 9/11.
As far as i know, every country in the world has had the same requirement for years now.
As previous writer said - your travel agent is slack coz they should have checked your passport or at least asked.
However, good idea to raise the point here in case others had forgotten.

Have campervan, will travel.
Have campervan, will travel.

Jenz

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

You're right it was a rule/regulation prior to 9/11

tlp

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Hi

This has always been the case for many non Euro / US countries. It may have been extended after 9/11 but I rather think not outside US.

I had a very stressfull time that went like this with an EU passport :

Thursday am : My boss said "you need to be in Korea next monday for a crucial meeting" (I was resident in Sweden)

Thursday pm : Arrange only available flight, book non refundable special offer business class tickets

Later Thursday pm : check visa requirements etc and realise I only had 5.5 months unexpired on my passport. Ring nearest consul to check how serious this was (answer = very serious ........ you will most likely get sent back. I later found others had presented their passports at immigration with a bundle of banknotes and got through). Ring to try and change tickets (no !). Ring local consul again ........ Can you extend my passport .... No you must go to the Stockholm Embassy, but I'll fax you the forms and tell them you'll be there in the morning.!

About 19.30 Thursday pm: book earliest flight to Stockholm. Then search for UK citizen eligible to sign the back of two recent photos. Eventually found two different photos (one 10 yrs old) in my briefcase. Got them signed by someone British but probably not entitled to sign ! Fax forms to Stockholm Consul.

04.30 Friday : Leave for airport

08.00 Friday arrive at British Embassy Stockholm behind about 100 Kurds, Slovenians, etc waiting for visas

09.00 Friday: British passport passport kiosk office opens ......... I'm the only customer. "Good to see you.......... your passport is ready.

12.30 Friday: Back in my office for lunch

06.30 Saturday : leave for Korea

So best not to leave it to chance !

When people see my passport now they think I've aged terribly !

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com

The Languedoc Page
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com

Jenz

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Oh my goodness Eek

I can imagine that sort of thing happening frequently though in the business world, but also in general travel with people who act on the spur of the moment with travel plans, just not well organised, or just haven't been informed enough about requirements. It's not uncommon Frown

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum