Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

China Travel Visa Problem

lostinspace

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 16th, 2011
My problem: I'm leaving for a round the world trip. I won't be in China until July of next year. If I apply for a travel visa in Canada now, it will expire before I get there (it only has a shelf life of 3-6 months).

My question: Has anyone gotten a China travel visa while on the road? I read online that they used to issue travel visas in Hong Kong, but they stopped doing this in 2008 and now you gotta go back to your home country to get the visa? I also read from these boards that this was done during the Olympics only and they do not enforce this anymore. Does anyone know what the state of affairs is?

Also, has anyone been able to get a China travel visa from India? I will be in India and Hong Kong in the two months before China so getting it in either of those places would be ideal.

Has anyone had recent (last 6 months - 1 yr) experience with obtaining Chinese travel visas while not in their home country? I'm a Canadian citizen

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

The answer would be yes, do a search for the details as a couple of regular posters have done it & posted about how.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

As NZ citizens, we got visas for China whilst in Cambodia in January 2009.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 18th, 2011
My brother and I went to Hong Kong to get our Chinese visas in March and had them within a few days through the hostel- no hassle whatsoever to do so, nor did I hear of any nationality having a problem (albeit perhaps this isn't the cheapest option).

Whoever told you you can't get a visa in Hong Kong since 2008 was flat out wrong. Things were perhaps different around the time of the Olympics but it's definitely not an issue now.

travel droppings

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2011
I just got my Chinese Visa as a US citizen at the embassy in Australia. My partner got hers as a UK citizen in New Zealand back in 2007. So yeah, I have never heard of any issues.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

JasonT

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2011
I got my China visa in Hong Kong this past September 2011. Very easy. The company I used was called Forever Bright Trading. They do a 1/2 day turn around service. Drop passport off in the morning with two passport size photos (must have a BLUE background - very strict on this, but they'll also take your photo for you, for a few dollars if you don't have any.) and $480HKD; then pick it up in the afternoon, same day.

I got the single entry visa, good for 90 days within China.

Here's the website, they list prices and visa types on it. http://www.fbt-chinavisa.com.hk/

Their office was in a building on Science Museum Rd, short walk from one of the MTR stations.

Jason

lostinspace

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2011
Thanks for clearing all this up everyone! Greatly appreciate it

Return to Asia Travel