Categories
Recent Entries

Archives

June 24, 2004

How to go about getting a job

Teaching English in China is very easy. It's a fun way to earn some cash, see the country and get to be a part of the culture. Many people will critisize this remark, as they will think it's a typical backpacker remark. It's true there are many fly in fly out try to shag their student ESL teachers out there. But as far as being someone who wants to get as much out of my experience in China, I put a great deal of effort in.

Basically what you need to teach in China is firstly a want to be there and secondly be a native speaker of English.

Unlike Japan, Taiwan and many other places where the pay is quite substantial China is still coming to grips with English and as such will employ just about anyone who can speak English. No degress necessary. This has it's good points and bad.

Some of the good points are: it's easy to get a job with little to no experience, in some schools there is not a high expectation and the hours are low (about 16 a week), accomodation and airfares are normally part of a package deal.

Some bad points: the pay is very low (3000 - 6000RMB per month), don't plan on saving for your retirement (but it is plenty to travel around China and live well in China), the school once having hired you may use you to advertise their school. This has happened to us, we are the only foreigners in our town so when we initially got here we found our face on the TV, in the newspapers, everywhere. It was crazy!!

We have taught in China for a year teaching junior and senior students in a middle school. This has been a great experience. We are now moving on to another province, I will teach Kindergarten and my husband will teach IELTS (it's an exam a non native English speaker must sit if they want to do further study in an English speaking country. It's also used by some employers.)

There are many ESL teaching courses out there. Be weary of them, a lot of institutions are just after a buck. CELTA is the main ESL qualification. It takes about 4 weeks to complete and is internationally recognised. While it may be useful in other countries, it is possible to get a job in China without it. Keep in mind qualifications normally attract more salary, so with no experience and no teaching qualifications you will not have a lot to barter with come salary negotiations.

Anyway, qualifications or not there are more jobs than foreign teachers in China. A good website for placing your resume and finding jobs for teaching in China is
www.teach-in-china.net

Goodluck!!

Posted by Jo on June 24, 2004 12:38 PM
Category: Teaching English
Comments
Email this page
Email this entry to:

Your email address:

Message (optional):

Designed & Hosted by the BootsnAll Travel Network