Discussion forum for folks interested in climbing Africa's highest mountain.

Climb Dec 15- Jan 8, whats the best deal? Need suggestions.

SAPMonkey

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: kilimanjaro, tanzania
  • Added on: October 19th, 2009
Need some sugestions for this last minute idea. I did the climb 10 years ago with Zara, but I'm sure everythign has chnages. Whats the best value without breaking the bank, but also without chasing up and down the mountain at breakneck speed. Would setting this up locally (Nairobi or Moshi) work better?

Cheers,
J

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2009
You might get some ideas from BnA's Kilimanjaro travel guide.
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

Gabriel morris

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 21st, 2009
Sap monkey,

We used mar tours(www.martoursandsafaris.com)

Budget company and got a better rate since we were a group of 2. Believe you get a better rate with more people.
We had a good trip with them, no problems, and they are a budget company which means so-so air matress and sleeping bag (or you can bring your own), other than that, everything went smoothly.

DUCK- where you from. We did our trip back in 2007 and live in Summit County. I would recommend booking prior to arrival as I could not imagine just showing up and trying to find something (it could be done, but like others are saying, could be a hassle and a waste of time). Probably not saving much. Park fees alone for the climb are about $110/pp/day. So, if you do a 7-day climb, you are already at a base price of $770 (for the fees for the park) and then adding on from there (food, transport, company making some profit, paying porters, guides...).

Enjoy!

Gabriel morris

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 20th, 2009
Sap Monkey,

I also heard there's a road works on a both sides of the border so be care you may miss your plane out of Nairobi if your going by shuttle bus.

RoxyG

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2009
Hey Sap,

I highly recommend a local guide by the name of Victor Manyanga. He made my Kili climb so much more enjoyable with his stories and information. Great attitude, and he really gets it, as far as client needs go. He can put together a quick team of porters, cooks etc., on a budget. He can also take you on a safari ride. PM me for his contact details.

RoxyG
Last edited by Hydro on December 8th, 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed email address to avoid spam trap

Gabriel morris

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2010
You've been so quite SAP MONKEY, how was your kili trip??

Gabriel morris

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2010
SAPMonkey wrote:Need some sugestions for this last minute idea. I did the climb 10 years ago with Zara, but I'm sure everythign has chnages. Whats the best value without breaking the bank, but also without chasing up and down the mountain at breakneck speed. Would setting this up locally (Nairobi or Moshi) work better?

Cheers,
J

we also met the group of zara on the mountain and were very happy.

SAPMonkey

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 7th, 2010
Gabriel morris wrote:You've been so quite SAP MONKEY, how was your kili trip??

09 Kili trip did not happen. :( As usual life got in the way. I climbed some smaller hills locally like Mt. Rainier this summer. Three of us from the Rainier climb are looking at Kili this December. Same question as last year. Any good deals to be had? At this point the plan is still to fly into Nairobi, take a shuttle to Moshi and find a guide locally that's willing to bargain a bit. Anyone have good local contacts?

Return to Mt Kilimanjaro