If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

computer work?

morning

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 18th, 2007
i want to go abroad but will probably need to continue working, but i don't want to be on any kind of schedule- you know work when i need the money, don't work when i don't- so i'm thinking some kind of computer job would fit this bill (preferably something artsy), if this makes any sense throw some suggestions my way!!! Big Grin
"well behaved women seldom make history!!" -Laurel Ulrich

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I've know one person who did this, followed another's blog, and I think we even have a bootie who has worked this out...I forget who.

One was a graphical artist, the other a web page designer. Don't remember what the boot did exactly, but it was with computers...

The common theme seems to have been that they developed a client base back home (like their existing employer) that trusts them and feelt comfortable assigning work, and paying up, remotely.
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

TedKarma

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

There are a lot of us overseas who earn a living on the web - and it doesn't take great technical skills.

If you want freelance work - that is a different issue and you would be best to solicit work from developed countries where the wages are far higher for graphic artist type work than in lesser developed countries.
Learn about Teaching English Abroad. Check out TEFL Newbie

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 19th, 2007
Ted -

Could you give some more details on how one makes a living from the web without having great technical skills?

Thanks,

Ed
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

TedKarma

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 19th, 2007
If you already know how to use Word, you have a good skill level for being decent at Front Page - which is an MS product and set up to work almost like Word.

Once you know Front Page you know how to build a webpage.

Uploading your site is not rocket science - but can seem baffling to the newbie, though quite easy.

Done and dusted . . .

Okay, it is a bit more difficult than that - but not as difficult as people make it out to be.
Learn about Teaching English Abroad. Check out TEFL Newbie

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 20th, 2007
Okay, I get the build-a-webpage thing. I was more interested in the make-a-living part. Seems like plenty of people make a few bucks here or there off of a website but what are the tricks to actually make a living from one?
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

Proxima

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2008
The best way to make a living from a web site is to own the site and rent it out to those who need it.

This simply means that if a customer wants a web site made for their business, you buy the domain name, rent the server space etc, design and build the web site and upload it, get it online and working. The customer then pays you for what you've done and also for any monthly charges you intend to take (covers hosting / domain name etc..plus your 'wages')

BUT, you'll have to be around and available if the site goes wrong or falls offline. You can't really be up a mountain and the customer calls to say his site has been offline for two weeks and he's just lost a multi million cash business offer.

The other way is to simply do all of the above but hand over total control of everything to the customer. Here, you'll make a bit more money as you can charge more rather than string out monthly payments from customer. Also you're worry free.

A few other problems occur when a customer asks to see your previous work. Are you gonna carry around a laptop with satellite internet connection everywhere you go? Are you going to walk around wearing a sandwhich board advertising your work or are you gonna enjoy the sites?

Becoming known for what you do is the toughest part. 2 weeks in a city will not get you any business making web sites for people. Sometimes, one web site can take months to set up. Anyone can write a page with a few linked pages and fill in a load of info and pictures, but making something that's going to work for the customer is an 'online' skill that takes practice and experience.

Does the customer want a 'shopping basket' on their site? Do they want paypal or credit card payments possible on their site? These things take time and effort to set up. You might find you're paying out to set all this up in the hope you'll get paid by the customer for all your work.

Learning some very basic HTML will help too, and don't forget you'll need a programme like dreamweaver to make web site building a lot easier for you.

IMHO, making web sites as you travel is not a god option. This type of work seems to me to be best suited for a home based person.

And don't forget that the country your in may not have the same kind of monetary strength as your home country, so a site you make at home will be relatively cheap, but for someone in another country, it could cost them two or tree months wages.. So, they'll probably find a local to do the job.

Scribetrotter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2008
Another option is to build a site for yourself, and make an income from that. I have friends who make upwards of several thousand dollars a month with their site - but it'll take months to build one that will bring that kind of income.

You get income from Google AdSense, affiliate sales, product sales, ads etc. - all the basic ways of making money from a website. There is plenty of information out there about how to do these things - some better than others.

You can put up a site about almost anything - it's a bit like having a blog but more structured, and with a bit of thinking behind it. The trick is to make sure there is an actual demand out there for your topic.

It's not too difficult to set up, even if you have no web experience, but it's not a get rich quick scheme. What it will do is give you a regular, reliable income for work you can do from an Internet cafe. I speak from experience - I don't make huge bucks from my site but I certainly would make enough to travel on if I spent just a bit more time on it (I'm sedentary right now, day job and all).

Cheers, Leyla
Women on the Road
Inspiration for women who love to backpack on their own

SoloTraveller

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 11th, 2008
Better to make your own websites and get an income through advertising. Lots of people are doing this now, laptop warriors!

The cost of entry is very low and if you start off with a blog then you dont need techy skills!
---------------------------
Travel insurance - Travel Africa

White Space

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 27th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Proxima:
The best way to make a living from a web site is to own the site and rent it out to those who need it.

This simply means that if a customer wants a web site made for their business, you buy the domain name, rent the server space etc, design and build the web site and upload it, get it online and working. The customer then pays you for what you've done and also for any monthly charges you intend to take (covers hosting / domain name etc..plus your 'wages')

BUT, you'll have to be around and available if the site goes wrong or falls offline. You can't really be up a mountain and the customer calls to say his site has been offline for two weeks and he's just lost a multi million cash business offer.

The other way is to simply do all of the above but hand over total control of everything to the customer. Here, you'll make a bit more money as you can charge more rather than string out monthly payments from customer. Also you're worry free.

A few other problems occur when a customer asks to see your previous work. Are you gonna carry around a laptop with satellite internet connection everywhere you go? Are you going to walk around wearing a sandwhich board advertising your work or are you gonna enjoy the sites?

Becoming known for what you do is the toughest part. 2 weeks in a city will not get you any business making web sites for people. Sometimes, one web site can take months to set up. Anyone can write a page with a few linked pages and fill in a load of info and pictures, but making something that's going to work for the customer is an 'online' skill that takes practice and experience.

Does the customer want a 'shopping basket' on their site? Do they want paypal or credit card payments possible on their site? These things take time and effort to set up. You might find you're paying out to set all this up in the hope you'll get paid by the customer for all your work.

Learning some very basic HTML will help too, and don't forget you'll need a programme like dreamweaver to make web site building a lot easier for you.

IMHO, making web sites as you travel is not a god option. This type of work seems to me to be best suited for a home based person.

And don't forget that the country your in may not have the same kind of monetary strength as your home country, so a site you make at home will be relatively cheap, but for someone in another country, it could cost them two or tree months wages.. So, they'll probably find a local to do the job.

Indeed very much valid point. I'm myself web developer and website development is not at all bed of roses. Some takes weeks whereas some takes months. And the customer's/clients take the hell out of you.
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish ;)

m0loch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 9th, 2008
You can find graphic artist type of work as well as web design type work on sites like elance.com and getafreelancer.com there are others and new ones crop up every day.

I've been on elance now for a couple of months...I've gotten a few jobs and learned a lot. Mostly what I've learned is that the vast majority of people who are looking to buy services are total flakes, another pretty big portion really have no clue what they want so they're unable to give you any direction. I've learned how to pick the sane ones out of the crowd and now only bid on those type projects. I hope to soon build my portfolio up enough so that I can bid on and get awarded the bigger budget projects as those people seem more committed to their projects and not nearly as flakey (I hope)

riscphree

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 11th, 2008
You guys only talk about building websites, however there are many more opportunities out there on the internet.

Affiliate marketing, selling product (be it drop shipping, or if you have a product), being your own author of ebooks, the options are endless. All you need is a bit of creativity.
http://2Guys2Backpacks.com - Keep track of my quest for travel funding!

http://BarterAroundTheWorld.com

Return to Living Abroad