Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Costa Rica Itinerary? Playa Grande vs. Manual Antonio?

NJT

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: costa rica, itinerary
  • Added on: January 20th, 2011
Hello,
I am leaving next week with a friend of mine. Would love your thoughts on this itinerary (i know, so last minute)!
This is what my friend and I have in mind--what do you think? We are going to be there in the next couple of weeks.

Day 1: Fly into San Jose, stay at hotel for night
Day 2-4: Arenal area : recs for safe ziplining tours here?
Day 5: Travel to Monteverde.
Day 6: Monteverde
Day 7: Travel to Playa Grande?? Does this make sense--we are interested in seeing the turtles.
Day 8: Playa Grande (or travel to Manual Antonio)
Day 9: Stay in Playa Grande (if not in Manual Antonio) and Back to San Jose
Day 10: Leave
I have some leads that I am working with already (private drivers, shuttles, bus, hostels, etc based on my own research) but if you have some advice based on experience (and budgeting ideas) that would be great! We are debating skipping Manual Antonio altogether and just going to Playa Grande--any thoughts on that?

EMH

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 20th, 2011
A few random thoughts...

1) Costa Rica is not the easiest country to get around. Getting from Monteverde to Playa Grande sounds particularly challenging.

2) Personally I really liked Manual Antonio...great beach and lots of wildlife.

3) Wasn't that impressed with Monteverde or Arenal but it all depends on your personal preferences.

4) I was originally going to head to Playa Grande because I really wanted to see the turtles as well. But after doing some research, I found out that there aren't that many turtles. And so you may not get to see any. I later heard of one woman who had to go out seven nights before see saw a single turtle. I'm sure it's an amazing experience....just be prepared that things may not work out the way you want them to.
Follow my travels through Central and South America: www.talesofagringo.com

Return to Central America Travel