Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Costa Rica or Jamaica?

Psystone

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: costa rica, jamaica
  • Added on: January 12th, 2009
Hey I am going on my first backpacking adventure this summer and the 2 destinations I have narrowed it down to is either Costa Rica or Jamaica. I am going with a good friend of mine from high school. I would love to hear and opinions, tips, stories, or whatever you have to say about either or both locations. I should have a little over 2 grand saved up and am going to be going for about 2 weeks.
"We don't stop playing when we grow old, we grow old when we stop playing." Unknown

myspace.com/psystone

juan3

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2009
Costa Rica and Jamaica are so different it is like comparing apples and oranges. You need to tell us what you like, what countries you have enjoyed previously, what type experiences you are looking for, etc.

The Latin American culture is so different from the African/ Caribbean culture. I can understand why you haven't gotten any replies.

Tell us more about yourself so we can help.
----------------------------------------- I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.-Mark Twain

Psystone

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2009
Thanks Juan. Yeah I guess mostly I am wanting to experince other cultures, but I also want to do some hiking across beautiful landscapes. I think I am going to go to Costa Rica. It has the most ecologically diverse ecosystem in the world which is of great interest to me.
"We don't stop playing when we grow old, we grow old when we stop playing." Unknown

myspace.com/psystone

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2009
I've only been to Costa Rica. From what everyone tells me, Jamaica is either hermetically-sealed resorts, or more hassles than people care to deal with. Costa Rica is really chilled-out and relatively safe. You can get a fix of Caribbean culture in the Puerto Viejo/Cahuita area, and more mainstream Tico culture in the rest of the country.

kcweimer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2009
Jamaica can be dangerous for the unaware traveller and is an entirely different experience than CR. CR is diverse and beautiful.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give."

Galactica

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 17th, 2009
I know that Jamaica has been devastated economically by globalization/trade with USA. Jamaica and Haiti were a couple countries used as case studies in my geography classes. My friend took a cruise down there and was very disenchanted with the place experiencing the juxtaposition of wealthy travelers at resorts and seeing the poverty of the settlements constructed around the resorts by people attracted to jobs created by the resorts.

I guess the trick would be avoiding these socio-economic border lines.

kcweimer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

My personal opinion is you avoid the artificial environment of the resort areas and visit places where tourists normally do not go, or at least do not go and then lock themselves behind gates, never experiencing anything remotely resembling the rich culture of whatever country they are in. To learn about a country I like to meet people who live there in their environment. But that's just my opinion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give."

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Galactica:
I know that Jamaica has been devastated economically by globalization/trade with USA. Jamaica and Haiti were a couple countries used as case studies in my geography classes. My friend took a cruise down there and was very disenchanted with the place experiencing the juxtaposition of wealthy travelers at resorts and seeing the poverty of the settlements constructed around the resorts by people attracted to jobs created by the resorts.

Most Haitians would kill to be 'disadvantaged' by those jobs.

juan3

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Central America, including Costa Rica, certainly has its share of poverty. The big difference, in Central America, is the lack of a bad attitude toward tourists who have money.

To us, most of the East Caribbean islanders had the attitude of "Leave us your money and go home". This was especially true of the Jamaicans. This was the main reason we spent only a few weeks in the Eastern Caribbean and and years in the Western Caribbean.

You will love Costa Rica and the Ticas will love you.
----------------------------------------- I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.-Mark Twain

Return to Central America Travel