Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Tower Bridge... There's no shortage of things to do and see in London!

Critique my new London website please!

MercutioMike

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 6th, 2008
Hey guys, I just made a website for Americans moving to England and I was hoping some of you here could go through and look at it? I've got it broken down into simple sections. It's a very basic site. Are there any suggestions from you what you think I may be missing? Do you find the site helpful?

I made the site to help me make some spending money while I'm living here, but I also hope it truly helps some people with their move.

Thanks in advance and on the links page you'll notice my shout-out to BootsnAll!

http://www.anamericaninengland.com/

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

MercutioMike

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
cross posting is slimey

Ah, I see your point. sorry about that!

ChrisH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2008
Looks good. Here are some quick corrections to make:

Getting around page
Bus fares are 90p with Oyster, £2 cash. No transfers, £3 daily cap if you use Oyster.
Travelling outside London: there are lots of companies, but National Rail isn't one of them. I'd just link to them as they run the whole network.

Banking page
LINK cash machines don't usually charge a fee. LINK is the name of the network. You have to check on the machine (esp. if it's in a pub etc.) to see if it charges - they say if they do.

Food page
Seems rather incomplete... how about non-fastfood!

Stores page
Waitrose is not a big player. You should also mention Asda and Morrison's, both of which are in London (although not as common as Tesco and Sainsbury's).

Travelling page
Links to websites would be good - also put in www.whichbudget.com which is comprehensive. Bear in mind that the budget carriers aren't listed on Expedia, lastminute.com etc.

Media page
Don't forget you need to buy a TV licence to legally watch ANY TV channels. For digital the main players are Sky (satellite) and Virgin (cable). Both bundle their services with internet and phone.

HTH,
Chris
---
[b]Chris[/b] : blog

anils

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 13th, 2008
Not much to say on the content as it's not really aimed at me, but the pages took a while to load with all of the images so you might want to think about dropping some of the logos.

Maile

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2008
Hi Michael,

I found TFL's Journey Planner really useful while living in London. It might be a good addition to your "getting around" section.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Hessel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2008
Question_ Can you travel on the tubes (underground) in London with ones dogs? Is it allowed? What about the busses?

Hessel

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2008
As an American moving to England, this is of interest to me for sure.

I might title or classify the "food" & "stores" sites a little differently. When I thought "food", I thought of grocery stores and/or places to buy food. But, yeah, a "restaurants" area might work.

For banking, I'd suggest including some of the different kinds of accounts banks have for people making the move. HBC's "Passport" comes to mind, as does the int'l account that Lloyds offers...altho' now that I think about it, banks are changing their products often, so what's really cool for transatlantic expats today might not be in a month or so.

You've got a fantastic thing going with the two-colum format on the sites, that basically compares "This is what you know it as in the U.S." with "This is what they call that in the U.K"...I'd keep refining that for sure, & see if there's other areas where it can be utilized.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

Calescence

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2008
Would love to see something in the food section other than fast food.

Also, a key question for me was where to live. Would be nice to talk a bit about neighborhoods or link out to sites which cover this in detail.

Also no mention of music/nightlife other than movies

Giacomofra

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 1st, 2008
I love the website it's a very good introduction to London!

MercutioMike

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 1st, 2008
thanks!

Frank Wilson

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2010
Love your website, good move.

Here are some suggestions. Show a call to action, what do you want the visitors to do ie where to do expect them to go next. How are you going to retain the visitors for a longer time..think of these things, your site will be great

Return to London Travel