Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Crossing Pakistan into Iran

Scorpio2Europe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 23rd, 2007
I am planning to drive from India to Europe soon and I am wondering about the security situation in Balochistan. On the embassy websites it is advised not to travel to Quetta and on the road to the border, but I wonder what the vibe is on the ground. Has anyone traveled this recently or do you know where I can get the latest security update?

elAdi

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2007
Looks like there's nobody around who did this...so I just tell you what I know.

I traveled Pakistan and went as far west as Peshawar. I've met plenty of travelers who came overland from India into Pakistan. I have not heard one story of problems when doing it.

The situation in Pakistan is the following: there are dangerous regions where bad things could/would happen to good people. However, Pakistanis won't go there, even the Pakistani army doesn't really go there. It's tribal land under tribal rules. So, if you'd go there, you might get into trouble. However, your chances of actually making it there are 0. People won't let you. You can't just buy a ticket on a bus and go there. You'd have to go through quite some effort to get there. This basically means, that if you stick on the 'traditional routes' from Pakistan to Iran, you will most likely be fine. I've even met motor bike riders who crossed over from and to Iran. All were and still are fine.

The biggest threat would be bandits robbing a train really. But they are just out for your money and valuables. They are not Taliban. They are not AlQaida. They are bandits.

Do your research. But if the Pakistani government lets you buy train tickets, you should be fine. Pakistan doesn't need more bad press. They don't need a foreigner being kidnapped. So they look out that you don't do anything stupid and get yourself into trouble.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just listen to the locals. I spent 1.5 month in Pakistan and absolutely loved it. So, I'd say: go ahead with your plan.

Adrian
My personal travel website
Cycling from Indonesia to India (09-11) Fabebook Page
----------------------------------------------
"Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

Return to Asia Travel