Life and times of the Caribbean/West Indies. Shake your sarong, drink some coconut juice and figure out the best way to hop from one isle to the next.

Cuba - Mexico flight bookings

Lucky Luke

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 11th, 2010
Hi y'all.

Hoping that despite the Americentricity of this site that someone might be able to help me out with some Cuba advice...

I'm planning a month long trip for my 30th birthday (eek! :shock: ) in December that will go something like:
London - Cuba (2 wks) - Mexico (2 wks) - Las Vegas (3 nts) - London

I've got my long haul flights more or less sorted but need a bit of advice regarding the Cuba to Mexico flight.

I haven't definitely settled on where to go in Mexico yet (any advice welcome) but Cancun seems to make sense in terms of direct flights both from Havana and to Vegas and being a good gateway for exploring the Yucatan Peninsula.

I've had a look online and found a Mexicana flight Havana - Cancun that looks ideal but the Mexicana website tells me I need a Mexican credit card to book this.

Does anyone know what this is about and if there is any way around this?

My first thought was to just wait until I got to Cuba and and buy the ticket in cash at the airport but I suspect I'll need my onward ticket booked in order to get an entry visa, no?

Would I have the same trouble with Cubana de Aviacion? (although would rather avoid if possible, given safety record, me being nervous flyer, etc..)

From what I understand, there are no legit alternatives to flying this leg (catching a boat, riding a giant seaturtle…). Anyone care to contradict me there?

I haven't looked into Mexico - US flights yet but assume a lot of US airlines will do the MEX/CUN - LAS route so won't be the same hassle…

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Lucky Luke on August 11th, 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

Lucky Luke wrote: I've had a look online and found a Mexicana flight Havana - Cancun that looks ideal but the Mexicana website tells me I need a Mexican credit card to book this.

Does anyone know what this is about and if there is any way around this?

I have no idea why you're getting that message. I live in Mexico, but only have a USA credit card. Have used the Mexicana website without a problem.

On their website, there is a box you need to select which country you're purchasing the ticket FROM: "Pais de compra". Maybe you didn't have that correctly indicated?

Also, just an FYI. Mexicana filed for bankcruptcy last week. Everything is a bit chaotic with them right now. (Don't worry, they're not going away.) Maybe just wait a few days to a week before giving it another go on their website.

Lucky Luke

Share on Orkut

Yikes! Glad I didn't manage to book anything yet.

Just went back and looked at website again; when it asks you for country of purchase, the below pops up for all options except USA (in which case they just say "no!")
All reservations or purchase of tickets for flights with a destination to or departure from Havana, must be made with a credit card issued in Mexico by a Mexican company. You must contact a Mexicana phone representative to reserve or purchase such tickets with a credit card issued by a non-Mexican company

...so not sure if that is related to bankruptcy or not but having done a bit of a google, it seems sales might be suspended at present anyway.
I guess I could try booking over the phone, although might wait a few weeks and see what develops. Thanks for the heads up.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

Yeah, right now everything is upside-down with them regarding international flights. It'll settle down....they're the 4th oldest airline in the world, and the biggest in Mexico. Things will calm down in a week or so with them, and it'll be business as usual.

Beyond that, it may be a Cuba-flight-specific issue regarding the credit card use on their website. Just guessing, but maybe some stupid compliance thing they have worked out with the U.S. I wouldn't sweat it much. You'll be able to get a flight from Havana to Mexico.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2010
The no US cc from Havana is most likely due to the fact that it is illegal for US citizens (except in special circumstances) to travel to Cuba.

Cubana has a very good safety record so no worry there, have flown them Havana to Guatemala City in the past, no problems.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 16th, 2010
The US embargo makes it tricky buying tickets in and out of Havana. If your credit card is in any way connected with a US bank, you won't be able to use it.

busman7 wrote:Cubana has a very good safety record so no worry there, have flown them Havana to Guatemala City in the past, no problems.

Er, compared to 1940s test flights of rocket planes, Cubana has a good safety record. Compared to normal airlines, it's a bit dodgier. I've flown them both ways between Cancun and Havana, and I swear their old Ilyushins and Tupolevs are held together with baling wire and duct tape.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 17th, 2010
Felix the Hat wrote:The US embargo makes it tricky buying tickets in and out of Havana. If your credit card is in any way connected with a US bank, you won't be able to use it.

busman7 wrote:Cubana has a very good safety record so no worry there, have flown them Havana to Guatemala City in the past, no problems.

Er, compared to 1940s test flights of rocket planes, Cubana has a good safety record. Compared to normal airlines, it's a bit dodgier. I've flown them both ways between Cancun and Havana, and I swear their old Ilyushins and Tupolevs are held together with baling wire and duct tape.

Well Cubana's last fatal accident was in 1999.
American Airlines last fatal accident was in 2001.

Sure flying in the old Tupoleys is an interesting experience.

However the OP is coming from Britain so he/she can just book the trip to Havana on one of their new Airbus's & then the flight to Mexico at the same time.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Lucky Luke

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 18th, 2010
Thanks for the input peeps,

I'd be using a UK (or alternatively NZ) CC to pay for any flights so the silliness with the US is not of concern.
I'm not really keen on flying Cubana even the quick hop HAV - CUN so definitely will not be taking them the whole way from London! Luckily Virgin will fly me LHR - HAV and then back from LAS for a pretty good price so no probs there.

With regards to Mexicana being in administration; does anyone know what the deal is with Click? A news article I was reading said they would continue to operate regardless but when I try to google them, I only get results for Mexicana's website?

I've been searching for other potential airlines and Aeromexico shows as doing a flight HAV - CUN but when I use there website (mexican site not US) Havana doesn't come up as possible departure point, despite being on their route map.
I've also seen results for Hahn air but on googling this looks like am industry booking platform rather than an airline?

Can anyone recommend a reliable 3rd party site I could book through? ebookers, etc are US based so no good to me . (Even Boots' search engine only directs me to US sites. Boooo!)

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

It's my understanding that Mexicana Click is a subsidiary of Mexicana, but is a separate legal entity and not part of the bankruptcy. (Same with Mexicana Link.) I'm hearing that Click flights are unaffected and things are operating normally. But I think of them as a short-haul airline only offering flights within Mexico, so I don't know how that would help you. Also, on-line ticketing for Click is handled through the main Mexicana website, and as you know that's tits up right now. (A friend of mine who's visiting needs to buy a ticket from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta, and I have to take her to the airport just to buy the ticket. Fortunately, it's only 30 minutes away.)

I don't know what the deal is with AeroMexico. Their website hates my browser. For some unexplainable reason though, whenever I've price shopped AeroMexico, their flights are always a lot more expensive than other airlines. Dunno why.

Since your trip is not until December, I wouldn't sweat it. By then, Mexicana should be back in business. Just give it some time.....things get fixed slowly in Mexico. I just wouldn't worry about this. Even if you arrive in Cuba without a ticket to Mexico, I'm sure you'll be able to get a flight out.

We're so used to getting things done on-line these days, and doing it ourselves. Mexico hasn't quite caught up with the rest of the world with regard to on-line efficiencies. There is still a thriving travel agency business here. Sometimes it's easier just to walk into an office and buy a ticket. I bet it's the same in Cuba, probably even more so. (Living in Mexico for 2 1/2 years has taught me to quit banging my head against the wall....eventually.)

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Not the first Travis wrote:I bet it's the same in Cuba, probably even more so. (Living in Mexico for 2 1/2 years has taught me to quit banging my head against the wall....eventually.)

Considering that Cuba is one of the least-connected countries in the world, you bet correctly.

Don't sweat it too much if you can't book tickets out of Havana far in advance. I seem to remember paying cash for the Havana-Cancun flight in Havana.

(Click is indeed a subsidiary of Aeromexico.) Aerocaribe and Aerogaviota fly from Havana to Merida, also on the Yucatan Peninsula but much more pleasant than Cancun, if you feel like researching those.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I booked & paid for my flight from Havana to Guatemala City a few days ahead at the Cubana office in Santiago, just paid with my Canadian credit card.

Lucky Luke

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 16th, 2010
Just an update in case it's useful for anyone in the future:

I ended up booking with Aeromexico over the phone and had no hassles using UK credit card etc this way. Their London ticket agent (Aviareps) is on: +44 (0)870 774 2253 or http://www.aviareps.com

And as Cuba has just had a big plane crash hopefully that's their quota done for the year..!! :?

Return to Caribbean/West Indies Travel