Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Damn I miss my RTW travels...

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 26th, 2011
It's been 5 weeks since I've returned and I miss it so much. I constantly think back to so many memories I've accrued throughout. Everyday, I think back to where I was on this very day last year. Today, I'd be attending Roland Garros, sitting in the stands in my blue rainjacket, chatting with a nice old French lady who would give me some recommendations on what to eat.

Good times...

Sean

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2011
Welcome Back Ken,

Going to the French Open doesn't sound like a bad re-entry plan.

I once heard from a traveller, it takes as long as you were gone, to readjust to being back. So in your case, 11 months. :)
-----
Director of Boots
Dream. Search. Go.
http://airfare.bootsnall.com
http://twitter.com/SEKeener

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 28th, 2011
Not sure I even *want* to readjust!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
On my way from my X-pat home to Cambodia, a planned week stop in my old home town has, due to unforeseen circumstances, turned into 3 weeks in, what is beginning to feel like purgatory! Just don't fit in any longer. :aagr:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
Sounds like you need another. In my personal experience, when I felt that way, I just wasn't done yet. However, while travel will always be a big part of my life, there was a very clear point where I was just *done* with drifting around the world and RTW traveling. It wasn't what I wanted to do anymore. I have fond memories, I look back on old photos all the time, I treasure the memories and experience completely... but I never really feel like I would trade where I am in life now for another RTW trip. SO... maybe time for you to start planning again? :horsie:

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2011
Aw I'm sorry- I remember being quite morose around that stage of getting home too. :(

My best advice is think for a little bit about why you wanted to do your trip in the first place, if you accomplished what you wanted, and what it is you miss about travel life etc. My point with this is if you dreamed about wanting to do rtw travel because you, say, hated your job then obviously you're not going to be happy back at the same old job again.

Obviously any comments around here are going to be anecdotal so here's mine: went back to Cleveland for grad school at the same ol' university, realized even with changes I just really didn't like living there or the research opportunities I had for the next few years of my life. So took a gamble and reapplied but this time to Europe- good idea both for location and because the USA is doing funding cuts in my field of interest- then took off for a mini-RTW of three months. I won't say it wasn't a gamble, but I'll be living in Amsterdam starting in September and am happy to say I don't know which I'm more excited about, living there or the job I get to do.

I'm posting now from Beriln in the last week of my travels (going back to the USA- part parents are selling my childhood home, part last long stretch there for awhile, part the money's run out), so okay ask me in a bit how I still feel. But honestly compared to the last time where I did NOT feel ready to go home I'm pretty okay with doing so this time as I'm excited to try the expat life. Don't get me wrong, I will still travel and am excited to be in Europe where it's so easy/ getting at least five weeks vacation a year that I will use to the fullest, but I can't imagine planning a rtw in the near future (though certainly want to someday when I have kids). As Bideshi said, I'm at a point in my life where I wouldn't just go off and aimlessly wander.

So hey, hope something in this novel of mine helps.

K2

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 31st, 2011
Sean wrote:Welcome Back Ken,

Going to the French Open doesn't sound like a bad re-entry plan.

I once heard from a traveller, it takes as long as you were gone, to readjust to being back. So in your case, 11 months. :)

I meant last year, on the very same day. :) I wouldn't doubt the 11 month estimate though.

K2

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 4th, 2011
And no matter how much one travels, it's never enough is it? When is enough, enough? Is there a point where you felt, I'm happy, I'm satisfied, I'll never want to travel again (except for the short-term holiday here and there).

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2011
Holy fcuk, has it been that long? It seems like yesterday, you were posting about wanting to leave or which pack is the best to bring. Time surely flies fast.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

K2

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2011
heymikey wrote:Holy fcuk, has it been that long? It seems like yesterday, you were posting about wanting to leave or which pack is the best to bring. Time surely flies fast.

And I remember you posting in my "About" section wishing me good luck.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2011
K2 wrote:And no matter how much one travels, it's never enough is it? When is enough, enough? Is there a point where you felt, I'm happy, I'm satisfied, I'll never want to travel again (except for the short-term holiday here and there).

Just got back from my rtw trip #2 (a comparatively much shorter 4 month jaunt) and I'm already not happy to be back just yet, so...

To be fair my thoughts aren't really on the "man I can't wait to plan my next long trip" so much as "man I can't wait to move out of here to Amsterdam" right now and the furthest I think beyond that is how nice it will be to do daytrips or weekend trips to places like Delft, Bruges, the Hague... So hey guess it is possible somewhat, just have to disguise living as travel. ;)

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2011
Andromeda wrote:. So hey guess it is possible somewhat, just have to disguise living as travel. ;)

Unless you live in new Zealand...can hardly pop off to London for the weekend can we!!!!

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel