Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

Day of the Dead

Chiora

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: Isla Mujeres, day of the dead, dia de los muertos
  • Added on: October 6th, 2010
I'll be in Isla Mujeres for the Day of the Dead (30th Oct - 2nd Nov). Does anyone know if there is much in the way of celebrations in Isla or is it worth going somewhere else (preferably not too far away) to see a more authentic celebration?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 7th, 2010
I don't imagine there will be a big observation on Isla Mujeres. The most famous spots for Dia de los Muertos are Patzcuaro (Michoacan), Oaxaca City (Oaxaca), and Mixcoac (Mexico City). Your best bet, if you're willing to travel, is probably Merida. Merida is far and away the cultural capital of the Yucatan Peninsula, and definitely worth visiting at any time fo the year. It's about 5 hours west of Cancun by bus (very comfortable) on a good highway. Chichen Itza is just off the highway between Cancun and Merida, and Uxmal (superior to Chichen Itza) is easily accessible from Merida.

laurentango

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Day of the Dead in Oaxaca is as good as it gets imho, Check the web for photos and info
See sand paintings on the streets, paintings done with flowers, and cemeteries ablaze with candles. Spooky and fascinating to be sure.
Day of the dead schedule - October 31, November 1 and 2 for cemetery visits
ADO bus reaches Oaxaca from the south although its a long trip from Cancun. Air service reaches OAX airport from Cancun.

Lauren

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

laurentango wrote:Day of the Dead in Oaxaca is as good as it gets imho, Check the web for photos and info
See sand paintings on the streets, paintings done with flowers, and cemeteries ablaze with candles. Spooky and fascinating to be sure.
Day of the dead schedule - October 31, November 1 and 2 for cemetery visits
ADO bus reaches Oaxaca from the south although its a long trip from Cancun. Air service reaches OAX airport from Cancun.

Lauren

Flights from Cancun to Oaxaca all go through Mexico City, I'm fairly certain, and the bus will take more than 24 hours.

Chiora

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 11th, 2010
Thanks for the helpful replies. Because of the time I have and the distance involved I'll probably check out El Dia de los Muertos in Merida and then try and get back to Oaxaca, which sounds awesome for celebrations, another year. I was in Guatemala 2 years ago and it was just amazing - huge celebrations in the cemetery, with bands and dancing and even pizza delivery. But the best thing there is the kites - huge things, some 30ft high, which groups lovingly make. But I hear Mexico is even better.....

GilbertRobbins

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2011
Isla Mujeres is part of Mexican culture. It is associated with many legends, customs and traditions. These customers are being passed through generations. As time spent, many customers have disappeared while others have developed, the Aztec civilization took the celebration of the Day of the Dead very acutely. When the Spaniards and Christianism arrived, it gave birth to a great mixture that is now unique in the world.
I rely on my car hire

KathleenO

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2011
A Mexican person told me they dig up the bones of ancestors on the Day of the Dead and provide offerings to them in the Yucatan. Anyone know where that happens? We're going to be in the region at that time.

Return to Mexico Travel