Discuss recent articles published on the BootsnAll Travel Network. Ask authors questions, provide writing feedback and suggest corrections. Highlight your favorite articles, too!

Dealing with Culture Shock - Peru, South America by Sharon Couzens de Hinojosa

zoomcharlieb

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 10th, 2008
RE: http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/08-07/dealing-with-cu...u-south-america.html

It was an OK article but I never saw a definition of culture shock. Don't know whether I've ever had it before or not.

Africaholic

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2008
Well, to me what is described in the article, is not culture shock, but to be expected differences between living in different places of similar cultures. I moved to the US from Switzerland, didn't speak a whole lot of English, though I had a good grip on the grammar from studying English in school. I had to make many of the adjustments talked about in the article, but I never thought of it as culture shock.

On the other hand, had I moved to a country where the majority of the population had a different religion, where women had no rights, etc., etc. - that would have been culture shock.

Return to BootsnAll Travel Articles