Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling in Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

ditching luggage in Sydney

m0loch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 17th, 2006
My girlfriend and I are travelling home (states) from Antarctica via CHC-SYD-HBA then surface transport eventually getting back to SYD to fly to LAX. We wish to leave some of our luggage when we pass through Sydney the first time and retrieve it when we fly out. Are there storage lockers in or near the Sydney airport?

basmith4

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Mate, good luck, due to terrorist precautions you can not store luggage in just about any airport any more. Certainly none of the main Australian ones. I have had the same problem travelling through Sydney and Brisbane. I think your best bet would be to try an find some friendly BnA member or a friend in Sydney who can look after your kit.

basmith4

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

BTW how was/is Antarctica? I would love to make a trip down there one day. Can you give me any details?

gonorth

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Have a look at http://www.sydneyairport.com.au, select terminal info, international T1 and then baggage.

You'll see that there is a facility at around $10/d depending on what you are leaving.

Bit expensive hey what if gone even for a couple of weeks, and you'll find prices of similar commercial establishments much the same - could check Central Station in Sydney, but not sure on their facilities.

So I'd pick one of the better class hostels to be organising a night or two on arrival, before leaving or whatever your intent is re Sydney and you'll find there'll be a few that will allow leaving it with them.

Bugaustralia.com has a pretty good rating system, and Manly (one of the fist listed there - new place they claim) is my pic of pleasant places to stay in Sydney (only prob., being a $6 ferry ride from CBD, but worth it), YHA Northern beaches or Railway Square right alongside central is convenient or alternately Bondi or Coogee has a few.
---...--- ---...--- ---...--- ---...---
Joes portly antipodean pal
He just wants my port and cherry ripes

Tracy Ann

Gotta love the GB

Share on Orkut

There's a place near the Wake-Up hostel, right on George Street basically on the back of the Wake-Up building, that stores luggage for pretty cheap, I left mine there for a few hours once because Wake-Up only had lockers. I think it was a internet cafe/backpackers travel agency, but there's a sign up that says "luggage storage". The other place I used is BUNAC, but I think they only do it for people in their program. There are a couple of other public places around the CBD that store luggage, and, as Gonorth mentioned, some hostels offer storage. Check with one of the backpacker travel agents in the CBD, they should know.

Oh, http://www.google.com.au turned up this link as well: http://www.sydney.com.au/lockers-luggage-storage.htm

Sky Annie

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 18th, 2006
Check out Travellers Contact Point. They used to store bags for a fee.

D dog

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 6th, 2009
Hey everyone,

i have been storing my luggage in sydney for a few weeks.
it was the same company i came over with: travellers contact point.
they do long term storage as well as day storage

Mark Grogan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 14th, 2014
Well seeing as how this post is uber old, I’m not sure how my advice can play a part here, but it does seem that rules are a litle more lax if you actually are going to be out and about and not just transiting in the airport. In the future for anyone else who's planning to do something simiilar, I would suggest you call up the self storage companies to see if they are okay to help you out on such a short term basis though.

Return to Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Islands Travel