Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

DK travel guides

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 16th, 2010
Has anyone used these? I just got a couple (OK, so over a dozen) from the library and they look fantastic in terms of background information about a place. (details about accomodation etc do not look as comprehensive as LP, but we tend not to use their suggestions anyway)
Any drawbacks? Would you actually BUY these and travel with them?

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 17th, 2010
I bought a DK for India (as well as a Rough Guide) and they complement each other well but if I had to pick one, I'd go with RG or LP personally. The DK pictures are nice and so are the quality of the paper.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2010
K2 wrote:but if I had to pick one, I'd go with RG or LP personally.

why? (hope that doesn't sound too abrupt!)
What do the LP and RG do better than DK?

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

We've recently started using the DK books as well and generally use them to complement the LP books. The LP serves it's most use for accommodation (mostly to avoid but if necessary to use) and sorting out transport options while on the move. DK for pretty much everything else.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Thanks - that's useful to know.
Because we'll be motorhoming, we don't need accomodation or transport info, and we thought the DKs looked fantastic for the historical/cultural info, but just wondered about others' experiences.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 19th, 2010
Yeah, as a reference we have a Great Britain DK Eyewitness guide and a LP Great Britain guide. We'll often rent a car and drive around the UK and take both books along. Since we camp wherever we happen to end up (using a separate camping book) and also obviously have our own transport there isn't all that much benefit to having the LP guide along. However, the LP guide does feature a few places that the DK doesn't and vice versa. So, if we're driving through anyway its often worth a look through the book to see if there is something interesting worth detouring for.

However, what is often even more beneficial than either of the guidebooks is just having a 3G internet connection and hence access to Wikipedia, etc. We'll often end up stopping in a random place that appeals to us and then be able to read about the place on Wikipedia on the spot. We have the international version of the Kindle now for that very purpose. Plus with the availability of guidebooks in ebook form now, you can almost never have too many guidebooks for reference.

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 30th, 2010
Mama-to-many wrote:
K2 wrote:but if I had to pick one, I'd go with RG or LP personally.

why? (hope that doesn't sound too abrupt!)
What do the LP and RG do better than DK?

DK has nice paper and pictures and some good descriptions of major sights. It's good if you're on a package tour and everything's been set up for you and you just have to show up and enjoy the sights.

RG and LP have more useful information. Transportation, lodging info, maps, places to buy essentials (books, clothes, photo gear, souvenirs etc.), places to eat, travel tips...

I rarely refer to my DK these days. I don't want to carry around 2 books in my daypack so I just carry my RG with me.

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies