Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Do i need to carry my passport on me when sightseeing?

Mark H

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 17th, 2009
I pretty much carry my passport at all times, though it has been very rarely asked for. Except for decent safes in reasonable hotels, I can't think of a better place to have it than on you. It is also your most important document when overseas.

I doubt you'll be asked for ID when having a glass of wine in Europe and if you are, anything that identifies your age should be fine.

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 18th, 2009
You don't always need to take a passport with you but I do. Like to know it's safe it's a big big problem if it gets lost. I have a body belt and everything is kept in that, the things that if lost it would be a dissaster.
Jean

CarlosAlbert

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2009
Decide what you are protecting. Forget not looking like a tourist; you are a tourist, you'll have a camera and whatever else you need so just prioritize what you want safe. You can't be looking everywhere all the time so limit what items you need to worry about. Once you step off the plane, you can't protect, your I-Pod, your cell phone, your camera, your medications, etc. at the same time.

It's important to carry your identification with you while you are traveling.
If you need information regarding a Chile wine tour PM me.

Stunaep

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2009
Personally, I prefer to sight-see carrying next to nothing and always try to blend in with the locals as much as possible. If I have less belongings, it's much easier to look after the ones I am carrying with me, especially if I'm alone. In first world countries, I always leave my passport behind and just take my wallet with driver's licence and credit card as ID. Where possible I also don't like to carry backpacks etc. Of course the camera is a necessity.

I used to photocopy my passport so that I had a paper copy with me all the time, these days I find that taking photos of all my ID and important travel documents suffices, because it's very easy to print them. But I would never take both my passport AND back-up copy with me at the same time!
"The problem with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat." Lily Tomlin

semicolon

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2009
1)a NECK WALLET is a must have

2) Passport secure in the hotel SAFE. Not just locked in your room.

3) Drinking shouldn't be a problem. Europe has a much more relaxed drinking culture.

4)RELAX and enjoy yourself. Not everyone is out lurking and trying to rob you. Just use common sense like you would at home. If the neighborhood looks skeevey....leave.

IN CASE you get accosted/threatened for your Euros.....keep a wad in a pocket. The bulk in your neck wallet.....toss the wad (or coins...you'll have lots of coins) on the ground...when they dive for the cash do a Chuck Norris style....well no..RUN away.

Tot Ziens
Self-determining karma wannabe....

folecr

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2009
Take it with you ... I know this is the Europe forum but I've been asked for my passort in Japan, Singapore - places where everyone says "No one's going to ask you for your passport." Or maybe I just look shady.

Keep a copy somewhere - your hotel room, suitcase, a scanned copy on a USB drive, whatever.

And remember, if your passport gets stolen, report it to the first police station you find and get written documentation of the report. Then call the nearest embassy/consulate. (Hopefully this will never happen to you.)

semicolon

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2009
I've scanned a color copy of my PP and sent it to myself as an e-mail attachment.
So even if EVERYTHING is stolen I still have access to it on the internet.
Self-determining karma wannabe....

Previous

Return to Europe Travel