Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Do Mosquitoes like baby oil?

nickipower

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 9th, 2004
Sounds silly, but I'm serious. I use baby oil as a moisturiser. I'm going RTW and was wondering does it attract mosquitoes because of its scent or is the alcohol in perfume that they like?
On lonely Planet they recommend using Avon Skin So Soft, but in Ireland it's not as easy to get, so I was wondering did anyone have any alternatives? What do other people use to moisturise while abroad?

FemaleNomad

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 9th, 2004
Use whatever you want. The mosquitoes will attack you regardless. They are evil evil little creatures.

Having said that, baby oil IS ver sweet, which seems to attract more bugs. But I don't know what to recommend as a substitute. (Skin so soft supposedly repels mosquitoes, but that's never been true for me...)

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 16th, 2004
Supposedly, baby oil or mineral oil mixed with vitamin B-12 repels sancudos, or sand flies. It may do the same for mosquitos, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The best repellent for insects is a high B12 content in your blood, and a repellent with a high percentage of DEET(long chemical name)

The best repellent for flies is a shower every day. Flies like the smell of sweat.

The best repellent for head lice is a daily shower and shampoo.

When you sleep, the best repellent is a pair of long pants and long sleeved shirts and socks.

Add to that covers over your head and a mosquito net, and you'll be fine.

If you get bitten, Tiger Balm tends to burn like the dickens at first, and then relieve the itching.

Is this enough?
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

nickipower

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 17th, 2004
Thank you both. Tortuga traveller your advice is great, had heard vitamin B was good.

Think I'll try get some skin so soft, cos I do love to moisturise!!

Nikos

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 17th, 2004
On the contrary, if you cover yourself up in baby oil, many insects will avoid landing on your skin, or will have trouble biting you. I've heard of people using it as a protection against mosquitos and other such nuisnaces. Of course, it's not a panacea. Mosquitos and other nasties WILL bite you regardless of what you do. But baby oil might keep some at bay.

TylerDurden

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2005
I have a German friend who uses garlic pills.... He swears by them. Never tried it personally.

nickipower

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2005
Thanks again. I've had no luck with finding an Avon lady, so it's baby oil for me.

My next problem is how best to carry it! When I was inter-railing I brought in a travel screw cap bottle in a ziploc bag but still the bottle and bag got greasy. So if anyone has any ideas...

I tried garlic pills before and even the odourless ones made me burp garlic the whole day, not very pleasant!!

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2005
The thing that worked for me was Eucerin lotion which is great for skin..no perfumes etc. That with Citrenella oil..(natural) worked for the mosquitoes...
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

Matt Kennedy

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 13th, 2005
One thing that backpackers might really like hearing is that one of the best ways to keep your levels of B complex vitamins high is to drink a lot of unfiltered beer.

Skeeters hate me, I almost never get eaten.
-------------
The Wander Yonder

Rocknrod

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2005
Thought this was an interesting website...

http://www.detoxprogram.net/articles/mosquito-traps-propane.php

(First post!!) Big Grin
---
Restoration projects I'm working on...
-- Noel - WWII Coast Guard Cutter
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/ -- My Pearson Triton sailboat.

UnspecifiedGender

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2005
Rock: r u a fan of Hull? I'm interested in reading 'Sweet Poison'. I'd been on her website previously when I decided to give up aspartame.

Rocknrod

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2005
Havent looked around her site much, but I've been impressed with what I have seen.

Smile
---
Restoration projects I'm working on...
-- Noel - WWII Coast Guard Cutter
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/ -- My Pearson Triton sailboat.

Karibe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 18th, 2005
Hmmm. The scent of baby oil might initially draw the interest of a mosquito, but then put yourself in the mosquito's shoes and imagine your teeny self getting stuck in the grease ... I have a theory that the secret behind Skin So Soft is that, besides smelling bad to mosquitoes and gnats, it traps and then basically dissolves them.

Anyway, expats in the Yucatan swear by this stuff called Cactus Juice as a skin-pampering repellent: www.agorganics.com/products/Cactus-Juice-EcoSafe-Spray/12/131.html. You can also get it with sunscreen added.

Good luck!
Karibe
'If you had just one year to live, would you spend 15 minutes on this?'
--Helga Hayse

Return to Health and Travel