Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Do NOT Wear Lonsdale in Holland.

Wonderbus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 1st, 2005
The brand has been taken over by a youth neo nazi movement that go by the name 'The Lonsdales'.If you wear this brand of clothing or even the accessories, you will be mistaken for a supporter, and if you're seen as a supporter, you could be attacked yourself. Honestly, do yourself a favour and keep it at home.

My wife was mistaken for a supporter because she carried a Londsale leather bag. Fortunately nothing bad happened, but we were told by many dutch people that it could've. we had to scribble the name off her bag, it sounds stupid, but it's true.

Cheers,

WONDERBUS

Elis

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 2nd, 2005
To clarify, it's not a neo-nazi movement called Londcsdale, it's skinhead fashion. Neo nazis wear it because in the middle of "Lonsdale" are the letter "nsda" fold the shirt carefully and you almost get a "p". Now, you need to know that NSDAP was the official abbreviation of the Nazi party. This all has started a trend and there are now other labels written in a similar font which skinheads wear, "Bulldog" for example. Also, avoid seatshirts or sporty tops with "88" on them. 8 is the eight letter of the alphabet H, so 88 = HH = Heil Hitler. Creative little fuckers, aren't they?

PS this goes for all of Europe, not just Holland.

Wonderbus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 2nd, 2005
Apparently the wearing of the dutch national flag and The Lonsdale brand has been banned from all schools in Holland. The wearing of the flag in the form of a badge or patch is seen as being too nationalistic. Is this going on in other countries throughout Europe?

Elis, I'm interestied to know your thoughts on this subject, in terms of where you think think is all heading? I've lived in Europe for a few years and have seen the gradual shift to the right, but now I'm back on the outside looking in( back in Sydney ). Also, what do you think will happend when/if Turkey enter the EU?

Cheers,

WONDERBUS

Elis

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 4th, 2005
Honestly, I'm a bit tired on the political front. I don't know if the right wing scene will grow even stronger or not. I hope Turkey gets into the EU because I'm convinced that people will be surprised at how much Turkey and it's people are like us anyhow. At the moment, I just have an extreme allergy to skinheads, but I also get very angry because I work with refugees and a few of these folks have gotten beat up or at leastcussed out by neo-nazis. So I try to deal with it in the everyday world, politics and the future? who knows. I just hope that these kids don't all sell out their humanity. Their grandfathers did enough of that.

Nicky Gardner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 4th, 2005
This is a reference to an interesting cultural phenomenon that is not limited to Lonsdale gear. Another firm (less well known perhaps in the North American market) is CONSDAPLE, again because of the middle letters of the name. Where I am slightly surprised is that a Lonsdale bag elicited such a reaction. These brands are relatively common, and by no means restricted to the extreme right. If you don't display any other aspects of the cultural iconography of the the extreme right (eg. hairstyle, tattoos etc), I would not have thought wearing such brands would cause any comment.

Hope this helps.
Nicky Gardner
hidden europe travel magazine
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Berlin - Germany

Wonderbus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 5th, 2005
Cheers Nicky and Elis,

Nicky: You'll be even more surprisd to know that my wife was in a business meeting at the time, comments were made to her boss from the client after the meeting. My wife was wearing a business attire and has long hair. I just think there's ignorance all around us, the person who judged my wife because of her Lonsdale bag had obviously been reading too much trashy journalism and had taken the narrow view of anyone wearing Lonsdale is a Nazi supporter.

Elis: Interesting. By the way, we treat our refugeess very badly down here. You may already know all about it but if not, do a search on 'Woomera Detention Centre'. Basically it's a big jail with high wire fencing topped with barbed wire, literally in the middle of the desert for refugees to sit out there fate. There's also children sitting in these places for years becoming psychologically damaged, people are losing their minds out there.

WONDERBUS

Moen

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 6th, 2005
quote:
Originally posted by Wonderbus:
Apparently the wearing of the dutch national flag and The Lonsdale brand has been banned from all schools in Holland. The wearing of the flag in the form of a badge or patch is seen as being too nationalistic. Is this going on in other countries throughout Europe?

WONDERBUS

This is not true

Wonderbus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 6th, 2005
Elaborate!

Wonderbus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 7th, 2005
Not all Dutch Schools...Some Dutch schools.

I think you'll find even some Dutch towns will completely ban Lonsdale clothing e.g Uden. It's already being banned from some night clubs and bars. The Lonsdale company have reciprocated to all the negative media by endorsing immigration and gay issues in order to stick it to the Hitler Hugger's.

Baretta

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This is a must read.

Blew my fuckin mind.

Great piece though..
http://www.myspace.com/7791232

my2thhurts

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I did see this article about the clothing being banned.

Wonderbus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Cheers for the article, it gave a good insight into what's happening over there.

ak

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 9th, 2005
sorry wonderbus, it is true that this brand has a "history".

In the 60s it used to be wore by the mods (along side with fred perry's etc).
In the 70s it was part of the punk scene.
Sadly in the 80s when parts of Oi scene turned into right wing, then it was adopted by skinheads.

However, i have to add that the brand is so popular here in england that everybody wears one of them. They were bought by adidas, i think, and are really everywhere.

I think that the reaction of the people was extreme and stupid. you dont react like that , unless you really aware of the other person beliefs (judging by appearance is not a right thing).

Wonderbus

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 10th, 2005
The reason I posted this subject in the first place is because there are tonnes of people that wear the Lonsdale brand in Oz. My concern is they will unknowingly get off the plane in Amsterdam, head into town and get a smack in the head. Just because some clown mistook them for a nazi supporter. The Ozzie with the broken nose would be none-the-wiser!

gettinglost

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2008
Sorry to bring up an old ass thread- but I thought it was hilarious.
Skinheads wear Lonsdale for the same reason they wear Fred Perry or Ben Sherman... it's what they've been wearing since...forever.
You people are silly with your "secret code" stuff.
I know neo nazis have that 1488 crap, and a lot of "code" words. Their idiocy is universal, I suppose- but I highly doubt Lonsdale is the dress of choice by nazis. The nazis have their own damn clothing labels. Google Panzerfaust if you need a visual.
A lot of the kids wearing "skinhead" clothes in Holland are just gabbers, who listen to fast, gay house music, and play at being neo-nazis. That is most likely what this "youth movement" is. The community is small, and news travels very quickly to wide areas of the globe. If this was a big deal, I would have heard about it by now.
Holland- and most of the rest of europe- has a HUGE non-racist skinhead movement that is based on music and football. A good example: Google the band Discipline. Great band- I've seen one or two of them in Lonsdale. They're not nazis. They regularly play with other hardcore legends who are firmly anti-racist.
Firms are firms are firms- they don't have to be nazi firms...and if Lonsdale ever meant anything in the scene, that's big news to me. I wear lonsdale- and so do a lot of people I grew up with. We aren't racists. And believe me, with scene politics the way they are- the last thing you want to do is get the whole McCarthy "communist" or "nazi" thing going. It's a good way to get your ass kicked.
Unless you ask the bloke you're labeling as a nazi- or he's got odinist/neo-nazi tattoos... you most likely won't be able to tell whether he's a racist or not. The laces and braces code is pure garbage. Lots of people wear white/red laces in their boots. I wouldn't bother judging people.
And just to make it clear and concise for anyone who is concerned about skinheads: while there are National Front skinheads all over Europe: (UK, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc), you generally won't get cornered and beaten unless you're: A) a part of a rival firm B) playing at or dressing like a skinhead (and no, that does not mean carrying a lonsdale bag or rocking a fred polo). I mean steel toe boots, a fancy shirt, a pair of levis, and a short cropped cut. Ladies won't be mistaken. A skingirl's hair cut is very distinct, and is NOT a common haircut for everyday people. Those people who told you about the Lonsdale bag were being sensationalists.
The other possibility is: C) you've hit a rough part of Eastern Europe and/or Russia, it's the big day of a football match- and you're a biracial couple traveling together.
There are racist skinheads in Europe- and hell there are a huge number of racist skinheads in the US, and Canada? Don't even get me started on Canada. Australia- same damn thing. There are a ton of them- everywhere. Most of them are simply white pride, and prefer to stick to their own. Many of them are not interested in committing a hate crime, and just don't want to marry a person of another race, and have children with them. They want their little blonde, blue eyed babies. That's their business. I don't really think you can put a race on love- which might explain why I'm not interested in their philosophies.

The reality is- is since skinhead began, people have wanted to sensationalize it, because it's pretty much a gang. Actually, yes. It is definitely a gang. Up until recently, freshcuts got beaten in. You fight as a gang... It' a gang. So, people get all freaked out- and make wild assumptions about clothing brands. Somebody please tell Urban Outfitters that they support Nazism- because they sell Ben Sherman and Fred Perry! The whole thing is really very simple: a skinhead is someone who was brought into the movement young. The movement exists because there are kids out there who live in bad areas that don't want to get fucked with, they probably grew up in the punk/oi scene, and they made a choice.
There are American soldiers that are skinheads- fathers- -mothers -music legends- police officers- you name it. I would be willing to bet that there are skinheads in the ranks. One guy I knew from Plymouth, England was on the Navy Royal Boxing team...and, guess what the hell Lonsdale makes? Boxing equipment!!!! So, don't throw it around like these people are all monsters.
There are a few monsters out there, but it is a very honest scene, based on hard work and family.

There are the occasional trouble makers- but any fights that erupt generally erupt between racists and non-racists. Not really something to be concerned about if you aren't a skinhead, yourself. And, don't worry- skinheads know what other skinheads look like. And, there is NO way your wife could have been mistaken for a skingirl. Plain and simple.

This is a silly concern. I just wanted to put this to rest.

Cheers!
"It's not down in any map. True places never are."
-Herman Mellville, "Moby Dick"

Next

Return to Europe Travel