The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Don't be Shy - INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

OneStep

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: tiger penis
  • Added on: May 12th, 2004
Hi everyone. My name is Beth and I'm a travelholic. Do I have the right board????

I currently live in New Jersey running my own small business but mainly raising my 5 kids. We got one off to college a couple of years ago, with the rest of them running on down to second grade.

I never traveled much as a kid either. Besides heading to NYC to visit relatives, we only took one family vacation and that was a disaster. I think Dad planned it that way so he never had to go again. At 17, I took off for CU Boulder to go to school (because I wanted to live in the mountains ... lots of mature planning with that one). Once there, I caught rides with anyone going anywhere to see anything and the Travelin' Jones began. Life set in along the way and I had to earn a living but I was lucky enough to hook up with companies that sent me all over for work. I spent time all over the US, Europe and the Far East. Though I had to work, I always had a local who wanted to take me to some strange place that isn't on the map. Thanks to all of them! Throw in there my own trips to Russia, back to Europe and the East, the Caribbean, and cruising vacations (sailing that is), and my address book is quite full. Along the way, I happened to marry a great guy who roamed Europe at 19 then went to work for a year on a kibbutz shoveling chicken shit ... no kidding. He was born with traveling boots on.

So ... the kids are great, everyone is healthy, life is good, but something was missing. So my partner comes up with the idea to pull the kids out of school, sell the house, some of what's in it (sorry, I'm old, I can't part with a lifetime of stuff) and go rtw. You should have seen his face when I said okay. Makes a funny picture. So July 2005 the seven of us go. Our suitcases don't have wheels, we'll have to lug a couple of textbooks, I still need a decent bed, and we may be on the beaten track more than off but at least it will be around the world. The only way to make the world small for my kids is to make it big first.

You guys are the best ... thanks for all the info, advice, and the many laughs.

oswiu

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 12th, 2004
Howdy everyone. My name's Llew, short for Llewellyn.

Reading these introductions has me really impressed with the variety of experiences (and especially homes) you've all had. I've lived here in Toronto for my whole 28 years, except for four years in my early twenties when I was studying civil engineering in Montreal.

Before that, I was lucky enough to do lots of travelling with my family, but have done relatively little on my own since leaving home, though what I have done has led to almost uniformly positive experiences.

I'd been talking forever about doing a good long trip, and really taking some time to explore the world, and finally got off my butt and made it happen... I'm leaving for a year to go RTW this July (and am beginning to get very anxious and excited for my departure.)

This is way beyond any trip I've ever undertaken, much less ones I've done by myself, so I'm terribly grateful to everyone at BnA for the encouragement and all the wonderful resources here.

Just in case anyone's interested in my screen name (although I don't imagine many people who don't already recognize it are) Oswiu was a king of Northumbria around 650 AD who, among other things, defeated legendary warrior King Penda of Mercia against tremendous odds and began the golden age of the Northumbrian Kingdom. In case you couldn't tell, I have a bit of a thing for medieval British history. As well as rugby, beer and really geeky board games.

Looking forward to continued chatting with you all.

Donovan

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 13th, 2004
My real name is Michael J. I live in a big ranch in Santa Barbara. On the ranch I have an amusement park, a pet monkey named Bubbles, and a hyperbolic chamber that I sometimes sleep in. I used to hang out Emanuel Lewis and Gary Coleman.

Kidding aside, my name is Donovan Pacholl, 29, I work with Sean, Court and Dave at the Bootsnall Headquarters in Portland. I am a green native Oregonian (sort of hard to find these days in Portland) and returned a year ago from running a hostel and a project for Porters on Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania.

Although I am a little bit nervous, I am getting married at the end of this summer to a wonderful woman named Carrie, who is equally as infatuated about travel and the world.

If you're ever headed to East Africa (Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda), let us know. We are in the process of developing our East Africa Guide and also have plenty of contacts in the region.

Luke Ache

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Hi all, My name is Luke Ache, I am 27, I was born in Ribeirao Preto, Brazil and my parents immigrated to the USA when I was a child(best thing they could have done for us!). I speak 3 languages fluently (Portuguese, Spanish and English) and was trying to learn a 4th language but I didnt succeed. My Mom and my stepfather are both international flight attendants for Continental Airlines and although I have not travelled as often as I would like to..I have had the opportunity to visit and live in a few different places (Brazil, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Texas,New Mexico, Arizona, Minnesota,). I will be going back to college this Fall to complete my degree in Computer Science and I really hope to be able to find a job that would satisfy me once I graduate.. I have travelled mostly here in the States but I would love to go to Europe and Asia (even though I havent had the opportunity to go overseas yet). As far as travelling goes, I would love to be able to fly somewhere every weekend..I have been flying out at least every other weekend(mostly in the USA) but I still havent had the time to plan a trip overseas..I really want to explore the US more before I try to go overseas..I currently live in Saint Paul, Minnesota..Smile Feel free to email me at achel@bluemail.ch See ya!

Chey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

My name is Cheyenne (yes, for real Smile), I'm 31, and I currently live in Idaho in the US. I'm mom to two terrific girls, aged 12 and 9.

I'm currently in school again (for massage therapy), and I have far far too many hobbies to list. I enjoy experiencing new things and like to keep myself open to people and experiences. A few of my diverse interests include; hiking, bellydance, homebrewing (currently I'm going cordial crazy, just got three new ones going!), alternative architecture, playing the Native American Flute, homeschooling my girls, volunteerism, activism, roleplaying games, reading...

My mother used to joke that she couldn't sit still longer than five minutes so we moved a lot when I was a child and I kept on going when I grew up without really thinking about it. I've lived all over the US and have been to almost every state as well as Mexico. I haven't made it overseas as of yet but I've been dreaming about it far too long, I'm finally working on it. Smile

--Have you read the news today?--

hack

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Howdy from Matt. I'm a now a reporter, but come September I will be a former reporter recently relocated to Istanbul to do some travel writing and whatnot.

Planning to travel around Turkey and Central Asia, also much interested in the politics of the region. Was a foreign policy geek as an undergrad. Would give almost anything to witness the possible/upcoming toppling of Iran's government.

I caught the travel bug on a bus entering Cairo, got completely overwhelmed by the sights and sounds. Was a decade ago, and I've been busy ever since being a good boy and giving the adult world a try. I'm now 30 and still believe in the phrase ``Don't trust anyone over 30.''

Jude806

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

ladies and gentlemen,

i'm jude, 19 from essex in england.

i joined here - off the top of my head - september last year? so much has changed since then. different things interest me, different ppl interest me, different aims and idea of what i want to do with my life, and it's all fantastic. i'm on top of the world at the moment. of course that may have something to do with the fact that...

...on wednesday it was 3 weeks exactly til i go to the US for 3 months on my own travelling around, including a green tortoise tour and 2 weeks working on a ranch (i just rang the woman this week. i introduce myself and she goes 'uhhhh'. 'don't you remember us emailing eachother?' i ask. 'course i remember jude, i just thought you were male'. i definately put that in my first email as i suspected that would happen. damn my unisexual name Smile

i work in an office right now, but handed in my notice over a week ago, fuck yeah! left school a year early - i thought working would be fun - but have realised that there's plenty of time left for that, so the best thing is to put if off for as long as possible - so will be going back in september to study get english and biology alevels to add to the one i have already Smile then plan to go to university.

(i went to a book reading last week to see travel writer peter moore (vroom with a view/the long way home/no shitting in the toilet) and told my work colleagues i was going with a friend and told my friends i was going with a work colleague Wink had a great time and it's nice doing things on your own.)

the source of my interest in travelling probably started when we had au pairs from spain, italy, france, germany, scotland. we weren't wealthy, they were living in our box room. so that probably sparked up my fascination with languages (english too of course!) and the craving inside of me to get out there. had always planned to go travelling in australia or thailand, definately not america, but that's all changed. snappy decision to go to the US and here i am buying my reef sandals and towel.

not forgetting to tell you that this is a great site and i truly truly believe that i would not be going on this trip if i hadn't came across this site at the beginning, when i first started thinking seriously about travelling. many many sincere thanks.

this was quite long wasn't it? well, it's been quite along time since i've posted here, you have to forgive me Smile

"Her particular speciality was to cook things while they were still in the packaging. I was almost full-grown before i realized that clingfilm wasn't a sort of chewy glaze." - Bill Bryson

[This message was edited by Jude806 on 13 May 2004 at 15:30.]

Jeremy: Yeah, well, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes are just Frosties for w*nkers.

WantonPrincess

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Hey from a Yvonne. I'm 20, from Dublin, Ireland. Nearly finished my degree in Anthropology and English (and really should be studyin now Frown) And then I'm free- which is amazing, yet kinda scary!

I haven't done a whole lot of traveling, but I lived and worked in France for 3 months when in the Summer of 2002. Horrible job- but I had four days off a week to explore Paris which was cool.

I am hoping to start traveling by the end of this year...wanna find somewhere I like to do my PhD research in Anthropology in- off the top of my head I wanna go to Russia, Vietnam and Cambodia. At the moment, I'm trying to convince everybody that I will come back alive if I go traveling by myself. And frankly the conversation is getting boring!!! Ideally I'd like to spend 6-8 months traveling and then go back to uni Sept 2005.

After three years of uni and minimal work in that time I haven't got a cent so I have to attempt to find a job or two that will help fund an adventure!

I joined BnA fairly recently after reading the site for a while. Reading other people's stories always inspires me!

Yvonne

Law

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Hi my name is Lawrence, but my friends just call me Law.

I live in San Francisco, but I was born and raised in Florida. I just turned 30 this month and I been to Puerto Rico and Costa Rica on surf trips. I also took a 3 month break from work in 2001 to go to Thailand (20 minutes outside Bangkok) to train Muay Thai. While there I got a chance to go to Cambodia and Southern Thailand.

I’m thinking about taking another trip to Asia via Japan, South Korea thru China down to Hong Kong. Then maybe go thru Vietnam down to Indonesia. Along the way I was thinking about bringing my surfboard and trying to surf and explore at the same time. Not sure how feasible it would be to bring, but the thought of seeing perfect waves without a chance to get wet would drive me crazy!

Anyways, I love reading this board because of the inspiration I get to save my money, reprioritize my life and to see the world!

Tharistad

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2004
well, this looks like the place. My name is Chris, sadly I do not travel very much, haven't gotten the opportunity yet; but, I'm looking to take a trip to New Zealand for a couple of weeks to see my girlfriend and we're going to travel the country, seeing the sites of Middle earth, the Shire, learning to ride a bike *is scared by bikes...* that kinda thing. Lookin' for a good price on airline tickets to go in mid-July to early- August and I have got to say, this site has the best airfare search I've seen. Glad to be a member and will probably check into this place 5frequently.

"I am like King Diplomacy of Diplomania man, seriously"
-Ragnar, deadly as a rabid Tiger-Bear-Dragon
"Man, I am like King Diplomacy of Diplomania... seriously." - Ragnar - Deadlier than the dreaded Tiger-Bear-Dragon. -Chris

Riz

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Riz

My rantings from my ongoing RTW trip - www.rizwell.com

Midwest Dave

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dave and I live in Iowa. I'm have been happily unemployed for nearly 3 years, working for myself. I think I finally found the perfect business, make a living fore 6 months then take the next 6 months off every year!

I've always had a travel bug but never could quite figure out how to do it. While growing up we only went traveling twice that I remember when I was 4 & 5 years old.

I decided once I graduated I high school I was leaving home and less than a week later I had moved about 8 hours South to Misouri for 6 weeks. Then home, then I enlisted in the Army to see the World then back home. The moved to California then home, then CA again then Hawaii, then home. This has happened with many more itterations.

My travels have been limited but friends and acquaintances are impressed.

In 1990 I took my first International travel to New Zealand, Australia, and a stop over in Hawaii for a total of 6 weeks. I was absolutely floored to discover that I was not the most extended traveler but rather on the shortest trip of anyone I met! WOW, what an eye opener.

Well I was committed to Tech school for 2 years after that and couldn't find a way to get overseas work, so I took a job close to home.

This is getting kind of long. Sorry. I'll speed it up...

The last International travel I did was for a 15 month contract in 1995 in The Marshal Islands in the central Pacific. Great experience.

Ever since the trip in 1990 I've had this desire to travel Europe for 2 years. Then I found BNA a month ago, finally a group of wonderful people with a common interest in wild unbounded freelance travel! I hope to get the business built and sold in 2 years to be free again and travel.

This sight is the best! I only wish your info was available 20+ years ago!

"Just Do It!"

-------
From the MidWest USA.
Dave
-------
"Just Do It!"

-------
From the MidWest USA.
Dave
-------

RevImmigrant

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I'm Linda and presently live in a small town in the Odenwald in Hessen in central Germany. I am originally from Dallas, Texas and am a permanent expat. I haven't lived in the US for ll years and have no desire to go back. I lived in Mexico for the 8 years before I came here 3 years ago and am returning to Mexico to live within the next 2 weeks as Germany is too expensive for someone on government pension income. I was able to travel a little in 2002 when the dollar was at parity with the Euro. I went to Oslo, where my maternal grandmother was from, to celebrate my birthday (best birthday present I ever gave myself), then went to Strasbourg, Offenburg and Baden-Baden in the Black Forest,, then to Dillenburg in Nord Hessen and finally to Arnstadt, the oldest town in Thueringen (in East Germany). I plan to try to save as much money as possible in Mexico so I can come back and spend 2-3 months traveling independently in Germany and Norway and, if possible, a little in Poland.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Hey there. My name is Derek. I was out on my own when I was fifteen and did my first backpack gig, across Canada from Toronto, when I was seventeen. I spent years bumming back and forth across the country, mostly working as a short order cook somewhere or other, but I have had jobs as a bicycle mechanic(I was poor, much like Peter Brady), stone mason, convenience store clerk, canoe tripper, women's clothing saleman(I was good! Shocking.) and Captain Caveman at Canada's Wonderland. Eventually, I fell backwards into working for a travelling carnival. I did that for four years, in the off season, I travelled to the States and worked on some of the shows down there. One time, during the offseason, I met a fellow who made Chinese "pillow and fist" movies and started in a film career as a Grip. I have been doing that for ten years (Last month).

The nature of the industry is that you can take enormous amounts of time off and still have a job. So I use this to my advantage and travel every year. I found this place last year while looking into Honduras. I have been hanging around ever since.

I like to scuba dive and canoe. I occasionally rock climb. But I am getting older and more chicken, so I generally go to a climbing gym these days. Strangely, this doesn't affect my decisions to go to places that I think are dicey and see if I can find some redeeming quality about 'em. You know what? I always do.

I generally travel alone. This is mostly because I have a reputation for accidentally getting into some drama, even at home. Most people don't dig it. They find it funny---but they don't dig it.

I have been to ten countries in Europe. Two in South America, and all of Central America. I have a lot of Spanish and most of the English Language.

I love this place. I like to hear that other people are out on adventures. It's nice to meet you all.

Derek

Aw crud...
Good Luck Out There.

krisk

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 15th, 2004
Hi everyone. My name is Kristen, I am 28, and I currently live in Clearwater, Florida. I am still "on the fence" with the whole Florida thing so...I moved here from New York (a whole other set of issues thereSmile, and am originally from Philadelphia.

I have been to most of the Caribbean and to Italy in Europe. My *dream* is to do a year RTW when I finish my degree next summer. A combination "happy 30th/job well done" present, if you will.

I love to travel ANYWHERE and cannot believe the number of people that I am friends with as well as family members that have no desire to go anywhere. Their lossSmile I love to pick up and go on the weekends; although having 3 weeks of vacation a year does limit you.

This site has inspired me and I love to read about everyone's travels. Great job!

Kristen

Krisk
Kristen
http://blogs.BootsnAll.com/kris/

PreviousNext

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum