Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling in Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Dongle use in Austalia

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 25th, 2014
I bought a Vodafone dongle in Egypt this year with one months usage and it worked out so much cheaper than paying the charges the hotel were asking.
We are staying in Australia for 6 weeks in November this year I had thought of using the Dongle again paying for the usage when we get there.
Does anyone know if this will work out for me and how I can find out the costs. I've not been able to find anything out searching the Internet.

Mark Grogan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 3rd, 2014
I think you should call up the service provider as they are the ones who will be charging you at the end of each month. It is also safer to know the exact details before you go for your trip, else you might risk getting over-charged later on which is even more dangerous than just paying the price the hotel charges. I personally prefer a dongle too. It acts like a portable storage of data that I can bring everywhere I go and not just be restricted to the hotel premises.

JasonT

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 4th, 2014
Jeanie99,

I would bring the dongle with you, but be prepared for it not to work with the Australian Vodafone network. I bought a dongle in Oz a couple years ago, and when I flew over to New Zealand, it wouldn't work with the New Zealand Vodafone network; had to buy a new one. Then later on, I tried to use both of them in Greece, and neither worked.

Vodafone doesn't have a worldwide standard on which frequencies they use, and the dongles seem to be locked on a single band.

If you have a fairly new smartphone, you could also buy a sim card with data, and use the phone as a personal hotspot, or tethered internet.

Jason

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 21st, 2014
Just an update for anyone interested in Dongle usage in OZ.

I bought a pre paid 30 day 2GB dongle in Perth for A$49 for use in Western Australia from Telstra. You could add on for another A$15 but I didn't need too.
We were adviced by an Australian that Telstra have the best coverage so went with them.

I have been using the dongle as far north as Exmouth and south to Augusta.

Up north the coverage is in the towns, outside of towns there is no coverage but I am pleased with what I got and didn't expect full coverage.
The price was right for me I was able to use Skype for phoning it works out much cheaper than using mobiles, e-mailing and Internet research.

My Egyptian dongle I will use again when we go there in March for 4 weeks.

Return to Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Islands Travel