Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Dropbox?

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 28th, 2011
Just curious as to how many of you guys utilize dropbox (or similar software)? It's online storage, more or less, but all you have to do is put your files into a folder on your desktop and you can access it from anywhere in the world via the dropbox website. You can also sync all of your electronic devices together and then some... so you can add a photo you just took to your iphone's dropbox and have it pop up in your mom's folder back home.

The trial size is 2GB. Not much, but enough for documents and a few photos.

It seems like a great way to organize travel information. In the past I've had to scribble everything down in a notebook or e-mail itineraries to myself.

Chebasaz

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 29th, 2011
Try Evernote. It's free (to start with), syncs between computers, iPods, iPhones, etc. Allows note entry, voice recording, pictures, everything. I now use it for all of my planning both travel and work. No more weirdly named txt files all over my computer and post it notes :P
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

-Rudyard Kipling

madponyboy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

I highly recommend Dropbox. I will be traveling to south america in 2 weeks and i have all of my important documents backed up on this website. If I need a copy of my ID or bank cards, its all there and I can access it anywhere. (Dropbox uses secure authentication so I trust them with my sensitive data, but thats a personal choice).

I will also bring my laptop with me, and if it gets stolen or anything happens, I wont lose all of my documents. You can also create a public folder to keep your photos in and its accessible to anyone, without a dropbox account.

Little J

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I use Dropbox and Evernote. I use each for different things. The good thing about Dropbox is that even if you have deleted a file from your Dropbox, you can always recover it from Dropbox.com. (This is how I use more than the 2GB that come free as deleted-yet-recoverable files do not count against your quota.)

I use Evernote more for composition of documents when on the road.

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 13th, 2011
I've got my free Dropbox account expanded up to 4.6 GB through referrals and various silly contest/promo things they've run. There's a few hundred extra MB available through social media silliness: https://www.dropbox.com/free

I love Dropbox and use it on my netbook when away from home. I have all my important docs in a Dropbox synched folder, and one of the small conveniences is being able to open those docs on my home computer without having to do any sort of file transfer. All of my writing and important info is backed up on Dropbox.

LyndenC

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 15th, 2011
Seconding (or Thirding) Dropbox. Absolutely invaluable, especially if you're doing any sort of business stuff on the road.. great backup/secure storage. Combining Dropbox with an encryption system like TrueCrypt is pretty awesome, too.

Well worth it.

Little J

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 15th, 2011
Thanks Markus, I am now up to 2.88 GB of space on Dropbox. If anyone wants a referral, let me know. I could always use the extra space. :)

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2011
I love dropbox. I work from the road so I use it all the time for that but even for personal use it's great. The built-in photo album function is a quick and easy way to share your pics with your friends/family without having to manually upload them to a site.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets